Texas Hunting Forum

Just picked up my dog from Tammy Casa!

Posted By: dixiefisher

Just picked up my dog from Tammy Casa! - 01/04/17 09:37 PM

In mid-April I picked up my very first hunting dog, Whaler, he came from Denver and he's a mutt (GSPxPudelpointer).

He is an active dog and I went into this thinking I could handle training him on my own..
Well that didn't really pan out because work had picked up and I quickly realized the amount of materials, time, and facilities needed.

That's when i started a search for Versatile Dog Trainers near Houston, TX.
I pulled the trigger on Tammy Casa out of Leander, TX.
She was exactly what i was looking for. Someone with plenty of experience, good facilities, good reputation, and above all a personal approach to training.

I visited every month to bring food, supplies, and see how my dude was doing.
Each month had something new in store. Tammy is very knowledgeable and will give you an honest answer of how your dog is doing.

Overall i am very pleased with the progress that my dog has made being with Tammy and will continue to use her for brushing up and my next dog!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Just picked up my dog from Tammy Casa! - 01/04/17 10:08 PM

Does Whaler point?
Posted By: Texasphez

Re: Just picked up my dog from Tammy Casa! - 01/05/17 04:28 AM

So how did his training go? Got any pictures of him?

As a PP owner myself I'm very interested in hearing how he turns out. I am over the moon impressed with the way mine has been hunting his first season. I can't really see any reason a cross like yours wouldn't be a hunting machine.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Just picked up my dog from Tammy Casa! - 01/05/17 01:54 PM

Hmm i teal hunted with a guy that had a gsp pp cross...
Posted By: JTS

Re: Just picked up my dog from Tammy Casa! - 01/05/17 04:40 PM

I too would like to know what they are working on with the training and the progress you dog has made.

Re: Just picked up my dog from Tammy Casa! - 01/07/17 04:59 PM

Whaler is very high energy to the point that it's ADD. (tammy told me my dog is ADD lol)
That is one of the main reasons why i sent him off to train.

The first thing she worked on was basic obedience and force fetch, she told me off the bat that it's the most important and least fun for the dog.
Whaler is pretty stubborn so it took him about 2 months to get it down.

After the fetch is established, she works on his ground work for upland hunting and blind retrieves for waterfowl, this is the fun stuff.
She put him on live quail and duck EVERYDAY.
When 4 months of training were complete whaler has a pretty clear picture of what is expected out in the field for waterfowl, upland, and dove.

Re: Just picked up my dog from Tammy Casa! - 01/07/17 05:07 PM

Posted By: nak

Re: Just picked up my dog from Tammy Casa! - 01/07/17 05:33 PM

Get that dog on some quail !
Posted By: Texasphez

Re: Just picked up my dog from Tammy Casa! - 01/08/17 01:23 AM

Nice looking pup Dixie! Sounds like he's coming along nicely! I bet he's a huntin fool! Keep us posted on his progress, and kill lots of birds for him!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum