Texas Hunting Forum

Diving duck....

Posted By: BradyBuck

Diving duck.... - 12/31/16 09:54 PM

My 1 year old choc lab female "Kimber" has had a really nice first season so far and I couldn't ask for anything better if I was only wanting a hunting dog. She's running nice blinds and picking up everything that hits the water. I think she's going to accomplish a lot in the HT game as well...I hope!

A few weeks ago I had a crippled wigeon that was diving on her every time she got close. She showed a lot of persistence and chased this duck all over the lake and I finally had to call her off of it. Fast forward to Christmas eve. It was a pretty slow day but had a bufflehead and gaddie in the bag. A big group of GWT came over the top of the willows we were sitting under with that classic fighter jet sound. They made a few circles with Kimber watching their every move. Just when I thought they were going to land across the lake way out of range I gave a last ditch mallard call and they came up off the water and headed straight over and cupped right in. Shot one a dropped it and then hit two more for a triple, two were crippled. Sent her for the furthest and she snagged it before it had a chance to dive. Bird number two was a little more lively and dove as she approached. She started treading water waiting and looking for it to pop back up. I was thinking "here we go again". It popped up and the chase was on as she approached the teal dove again and then to my surprise Kimber disappeared under the water for what seemed like an eternity. It was long enough for me to say "holy smokes she went under". She emerged with a wing in her mouth and had snatched the sucker under water. She was very proud of herself as she exited the water and brought me her prize. I took the bird and sent her for the third. My older dog has done this from time to time but for her as a young dog in her first season I thought that was great. I don't know what the future holds for her as far as HT titles go but I can tell you that this pup is going to be one heck of a duck dog!

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Diving duck.... - 12/31/16 10:06 PM

cheers
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Diving duck.... - 12/31/16 10:20 PM

Love those brown retrievers! I miss mine
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Diving duck.... - 12/31/16 11:54 PM

That is awesome! Good job Kimber!
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Diving duck.... - 01/01/17 06:03 PM

I love a problem solving thinking dog. up
Posted By: daveindenton

Re: Diving duck.... - 01/02/17 05:19 PM

Very cool. Sounds like she's a good one!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Diving duck.... - 01/02/17 06:16 PM

Tess had trouble with the first couple of cripples like that but did the job on the next couple. Kimber sounds like a great dog.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Diving duck.... - 01/02/17 08:40 PM

No ducks will escape Kimber.
Posted By: catfish391

Re: Diving duck.... - 01/03/17 06:50 PM

That's a good one
Posted By: nak

Re: Diving duck.... - 01/03/17 09:46 PM

Great dog!

Do we get a picture of Kimber?
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Diving duck.... - 01/04/17 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: nak
Great dog!

Do we get a picture of Kimber?

Your gonna wish you didn't ask...haha

Posted By: Cappy_TX

Re: Diving duck.... - 01/04/17 03:48 PM

Rusty the Doodle at 10 months in his first season ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLve-v9sO8Y
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum