Texas Hunting Forum

Training a pup to blood trail tips

Posted By: 1chevypickup

Training a pup to blood trail tips - 11/25/16 05:17 AM

I have a 7.5 week old catahoula that is off field trial hog dog stock, but I'm going to use him as a pet, camp buddy, and blood dog. 20 minutes after I had him a friend shot a doe behind my house and we brought the pup to it. This puppy went nutts licking the blood biting and pulling at the bullet hole. He loved it. I saved some blood and also the liver and heart. Any tips on training him to track? Also what age to start?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Training a pup to blood trail tips - 11/27/16 03:20 AM

I started my lab at about seven months. I put her on tracks I knew where the animal was. Then progressed to animals I knew were hit good but ran out of sight. Then a couple I wouldn't have found without her. One still alive. She wasn't sure what to do on that one. But now she does fairly well.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Training a pup to blood trail tips - 11/30/16 04:54 PM

I started my Lacy the day that I got her. She is 11 months now. I had HUGE plans for deer season....but...Ive shot 2 deer in TX and one was DRT and the other fell in within my sight.

I would start as soon as you can. You don't want to over do the training. 2 tracks a week would be fine until he gets really good and then back it down to once a week. Remember when it is hot outside to make the tracks short. Always have a special treat at the end, something that you NEVER give him such as a piece of that heart or liver that you saved. When you run out of deer blood, substitute beef blood. I always put a deer leg at the end of my tracks and let Sadie chew on it for about 5-10mins before taking it from her.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Training a pup to blood trail tips - 11/30/16 04:55 PM

Everything that I mentioned was told to me by other blood trackers. I am no expert as this is my 1st blood dog.
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Training a pup to blood trail tips - 12/04/16 04:02 PM

My border collie is 11 weeks old and he tracked his first deer today it was only
about 125 yds but he did a pretty good job for the first real time. I started him at 8 weeks
on deer blood I keep in the freezer just practice in the back yard a few times a week.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum