Texas Hunting Forum

My male Brittany won't stay in his pen or the yard

Posted By: Nitronx898

My male Brittany won't stay in his pen or the yard - 11/11/16 01:00 AM

I have just about had it with my dog. I took my female to the trainer the first of October and ever since my male wants to get out. This is very unlike him but he always had someone else with him. At the end of October I had vacation and went to the deer lease for a couple weeks then going to meet my wife in San Antonio to shoot the national championship, she left Wednesday morning with my stepson. Well that evening the lawn guys let him out and he went into the house thru the doggie door and had his way with things. Luckily my brother was still in town and he got him put up and picked up the house some. Then Friday evening I got a call from my neighbor that he was out running the roads. They found him the next street over and had found three of his Guinnies. So o left San Antonio at 8:00 pm drove home, fixed fence, cleaned house( from Wednesday) got two hours of sleep drove back to shoot at 8:00 am.
He behaved for a couple days and got out again and again and again. Last night was it, he got out as I was driving to work. The yard guys were there when I left so I'm thinking they let him out of his pen. My neighbor caught him and put him in the kennel on the driveway. When I got home this morning I took him out of the kennel and let him go in the back yard to take care of business and he was gone again. Under the fence he went. When I got him I lost it. Put him back in the kennel got me two hours of sleep went and bought 600' of cattle panel to put inside the fence. He is bitting the cyclone fence and tearing holes in the bottom. He doesn't have a small pen or a crappy house to stay in. I think he just misses his friend. I'm going to see how the panels work and if not I guess hot wire will be next. He is almost 5 and never done this before.

Sorry just had to vent a little. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: My male Brittany won't stay in his pen or the yard - 11/11/16 02:17 AM

A kennel with concrete floor and a sturdy cover.
Posted By: Nitronx898

Re: My male Brittany won't stay in his pen or the yard - 11/11/16 03:46 AM

My pen is 100'x45' with a 16'x16' metal building closed on three sides which is concrete but grass in the pen. Should I put kenels in the covered part and let them out. I usually let them out into the big yard so they can play in the pool and have an acre to run around in.
Posted By: blanked

Re: My male Brittany won't stay in his pen or the yard - 11/11/16 06:46 AM

Letting a dog play on an acre isn't enough exercise IMO.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: My male Brittany won't stay in his pen or the yard - 11/13/16 05:50 PM

Get an electric fence. Run it @ 1 foot from the fence and and @ a foot and half high. Has to be situated so that he can't crawl under the wire or approach the fence w/o bumping it.

After a couple of contacts he will stay off the fence and all you have to worry about is the yard gate. You can make an electric fence gate at the gate if necessary.

If he is bolting out the gate put a collar on him and zap him when he tries.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum