Texas Hunting Forum

Inexpensive run.

Posted By: passthru

Inexpensive run. - 10/04/16 04:27 PM

I hate leaving my pup at home when I go to the lease but I can't have her running free there. Normally, during off season, I have her on a cable run and that's been okay but during season that is just not going to work. If I made a 8'x16' enclosure out of 52" tall cattle panels would that be adequate to keep her in?
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/04/16 04:48 PM

Would probably need some kind of flooring.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/04/16 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: MS1454
Would probably need some kind of flooring.

You could lay down a couple of 8 x 4 sheets of Hardi plank to keep the dog box area clean and dry.

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/04/16 08:15 PM

The ground is fairly solid. She couldn't dig out. Just wondering if that would be tall enough. Also thought about a screen mesh awning like cover as well.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/05/16 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
The ground is fairly solid. She couldn't dig out. Just wondering if that would be tall enough. Also thought about a screen mesh awning like cover as well.

I can't believe the rock hard earth my dog digs through. Knowing this, I've got a wooden deck of 1x6s sitting on top of cinder blocks for my floor. It was pretty cheap and easy.
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/06/16 12:51 PM

I use rubber mats from tractor supply to sit my kennels on

Robby
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/06/16 02:00 PM

I put a couple of the tractor supply rubber mats in my kennels a few years ago. Of course the dogs chew on them. I had to take them out. I guess they were made from recycled tires, there were small pieces of steel wire embedded in the rubber
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/06/16 02:13 PM

I used poultry flooring

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/06/16 09:48 PM

I was more thinking if it were tall enough to keep her in while I'm out on stand. My fog isn't getting a rubber mat or plywood flooring. She does however get a pad on the floor of the camper at night. I just need her to be safe and contained without shutting her up in a dog box while I'm at the lease.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/06/16 10:00 PM

Why not use a crate?

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/07/16 02:07 AM

Too confining. I'd rather not have her locked up for hours in it. At least with a small run or containment area she can move, vacate her bowels or bladder and see around her. I sit for 3 hours plus twice a day. If I have to crate her, which is what I did when she was a pup, I may as well leave her at home for the wife to deal with.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/07/16 02:47 PM

Unless she's a climber, it should work fine. Only thing I would worry about is coyotes getting in to her especially if she isn't fixed.
Posted By: TX_Diver

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/07/16 04:50 PM

I'd use a roof on it.

Our dogs dig so we buried some field fencing about 2" below the kennel. They tried to dig out a few times the first few days then eventually realized they couldn't. The dirt keeps it covered real well and it's some security from them digging out/something digging in.

I'd be real concerned about her jumping or climbing out though. One of my dogs jumped over our 6' wood fence. Fortunately someone picked her up a few blocks away but still terrifying. Everything we keep em in has roofs and floors now.

If you're in a long term spot you can pour a little concrete slab to put the kennel on also.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/07/16 05:34 PM

Are there lions near your lease? If so you need a roof.
I've never had a chewing problem with the tractor supply stall mats.
I have had mail shorthairs climb a 6 foot hurricane fence.
Posted By: bjh

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/07/16 06:41 PM

Whose shorthairs did you mail???? bang

Re: Inexpensive run. - 10/09/16 09:53 PM

I just may buy one of the prefab kennels at TSC with roof and be sure. Cheap insurance for a good dog.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum