Texas Hunting Forum

Alligators?

Posted By: kruzie96

Alligators? - 09/12/16 06:56 PM

I searched, but didn't see this topic discussed. Are there places along the Texas coast that you will hunt but will not take your dog due to alligators? Looking to do more hunting, and I always want to work my dog, but obviously wouldn't want to put him at risk. thoughts?
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Alligators? - 09/12/16 07:39 PM

Yes.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Alligators? - 09/12/16 07:55 PM

I would not take my dog during teal season as alligators are everywhere IMO.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Alligators? - 09/12/16 08:57 PM

We have one in the pond in my back yard. My wife was afraid they it would eat little Muffin.

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Alligators? - 09/12/16 10:07 PM

Mad Island on the coast. I was hunting with my dog, but we moved on to a different area after shooting a couple snipe along the bank. No way was I going to send him out into that mosh pit. There are three gators visible sunning and a few more that had rushed into the water before I got my camera out. Shallow and smallish gators, Dash was allowed to do retrieves on the bank here, but not allowed to go in the water. The second picture is a gator from Engeling. Dash was on the hunt during the dispatch because it was too hot to leave him in the truck. He wanted to attack it the whole time. He was never let off leash and never near the water. This is the kind of gator from deep water that would give no warning, so never allowed near the water. The water would have to be very cold to let my dog swim at either place. Ironically though I would never let my dog do it, I did swim with the gators at Engeling.

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Alligators? - 09/13/16 01:26 AM

Your a BA, John. banana
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Alligators? - 09/14/16 07:43 PM

If you're at the coast, you're dog is at risk.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Alligators? - 09/14/16 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Your a BA, John. banana

Dash is a BA as well!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Alligators? - 09/14/16 11:27 PM

That's crazy!
Posted By: Edge Runner

Re: Alligators? - 09/16/16 03:12 PM

There have been multiple confirmed sightings on Lake Texoma this year as well.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Alligators? - 09/16/16 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Your a BA, John. banana

Dash is a BA as well!

Word
Posted By: cactusflyr

Re: Alligators? - 09/17/16 01:25 PM

A 5-6 foot gator was shot two months ago, out of the four acre farm pond I sometimes hunt. Denton, tx...go figure. With game warden approval. Be careful.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Alligators? - 09/17/16 02:19 PM

They are in most the waters of Texas.... The places with thick population is usually the only ones to worry about though... at my lease lake and a few other spots around home we wont get in the water until its good and cold... definitely wouldn't send a dog out.. the ones in the lake like the taste of dog apparently
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum