Texas Hunting Forum

Flea and tick help

Posted By: fishingpunk

Flea and tick help - 09/09/16 05:28 PM

I have used Front Line plus for years and have been a fan. It always did a good job. Recently it doesn't seem to be working. I prefer either a pill or a topical type control method. If they make a collar that actually works and won't effect my kids I would consider. Please help any suggestions would be great.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/09/16 05:34 PM

Advanti. I used Frontline before and had a bad infestation that it didn't work on. I switched to advantix and it got rid of them
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/09/16 05:37 PM

Sevin Dust
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/09/16 08:47 PM

This collar straight up knocked dead the fleas on my dog when he got them. I bought it because it was recommended on this forum by others, including a veterinarian. I now recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Seresto-Flea-Collar-Large/dp/B00B8CG602
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/09/16 09:15 PM

Seresto collar is the only thing I use.
Posted By: mreed

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/09/16 09:33 PM

Bravecto (oral flea and tick prevention) worked like a champ on my dog! Within a couple hours of giving it to her fleas were jumping ship and they haven't been back.
Posted By: JDShellnut

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/10/16 02:01 PM

I can tell you this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CKCF4Y2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 does not repel ticks. I pulled 20 off of my dog after 1 day of hunting last weekend. They were dead, but they were still on there.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/10/16 06:18 PM

I put Bravecto on my dogs yesterday and this morning there were no fleas. Now if it will last as long as they say (90 days) then I'm a believer. It is expensive on the front end but worth it if it works as advertised.

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/11/16 03:26 PM

Thank you all for the suggestion. My wife beat me in finding something. Our vet recommended nexgaurd chewables. As of now I'm pretty impressed. 3 hours after max ate it he was flea free. I have found some fleas on him after he goes out and plays in the yard with the kids and they are dead. So it works and now I have to go nuke the yard.

Thanks again.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/11/16 09:01 PM

Correction on my post. I gave my dogs the Bravecto chewables. I put a new kind of spot o the cats. Mine were covered even though I've been using Frontline.
Posted By: 7x57

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/13/16 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: fishingpunk
Thank you all for the suggestion. My wife beat me in finding something. Our vet recommended nexgaurd chewables. As of now I'm pretty impressed. 3 hours after max ate it he was flea free. I have found some fleas on him after he goes out and plays in the yard with the kids and they are dead. So it works and now I have to go nuke the yard.

Thanks again.

Idk how much those pills cost, but I've been using Comfortis for a couple of years with great results. Cost $20/month down here.
Posted By: tc/encore

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/14/16 01:04 AM

I use Trifexis. Covers Fleas,Ticks, Heartworm and all parasites in one chewable per month.
Posted By: Sailor Soane

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/14/16 01:07 AM

We use Trifexis too. Incredible stuff. Anything on the dog is dead within an hour of eating the tab.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/14/16 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: tc/encore
I use Trifexis. Covers Fleas,Ticks, Heartworm and all parasites in one chewable per month.

Trifexis does not kill or repel ticks. I see this repeated quite often on here - if your vet is telling you this your vet is wrong.

Comfortis does not kill ticks either. It only controls fleas. Comfortis (spinosad) is the flea control that is used in Trifexis.

Bravecto and Nexguard both prevent fleas AND ticks.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/14/16 05:51 PM

We've always used Advantix II.

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/18/16 03:10 AM

No fleas or ticks since my post on the 11th about the nexgaurd Chewables. Seems to work. We also treated the yard and house just to make sure we got all those little buggers. This was the first time we have ever had any flea problems. Thank you for all the advice.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/18/16 06:59 PM

trifexis, expensive, to me its worth it
Posted By: Sweese

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/18/16 08:01 PM

I use Sentinel. It is a once a month tablet and it controls fleas, heartworm and other various internal parasites. I highly recommend it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/20/16 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Cochise
Originally Posted By: tc/encore

Trifexis does not kill or repel ticks. I see this repeated quite often on here - if your vet is telling you this your vet is wrong.

Comfortis does not kill ticks either. It only controls fleas. Comfortis (spinosad) is the flea control that is used in Trifexis.

Bravecto and Nexguard both prevent fleas AND ticks.
and you know this how? I have used it for 5 yrs and never found one tick..
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Flea and tick help - 09/22/16 05:10 PM

You can put a table spoon full of apple cider vinegar in their water. Over a short period of time flees and ticks go the other way and the dogs like the taste.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum