Texas Hunting Forum

Chiggers

Posted By: QuackShack

Chiggers - 08/26/16 09:10 PM

Im sure this has been discussed before, but I cant find anything on the search about it.

Going to take my young dog with me to go scout for dove just to get her used to the woods and a different environment. Then I remembered from time to time I have come home with a few chiggers in the past out there.

Will try and keep her away as much as possible from the taller stuff, but at some point its just part of it.

Already accumulated a bigger dog first aid kit then I will ever need, but is there anything you can put on your dog upfront to help prevent chiggers and if not whats some stuff you use if/when they get them?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Chiggers - 08/26/16 09:24 PM

I only get chiggers in the spring.

I don't ever remember my dogs getting them.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Chiggers - 08/27/16 12:57 AM

They are active until night time Temps drop back to the low 50s. My dog gets eat up with them. I thought about using the sulphur sock I use to dust her down.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Chiggers - 08/27/16 02:42 AM

OP, are you certain you are going into chigger infested area?

Re: Chiggers - 08/27/16 03:20 AM

Its kind of wierd, been going to the same place for @ 10 years now and some times I get them and sometimes I dont. They are definitely there though.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Chiggers - 08/27/16 08:56 PM

Sulphur powder, garden variety, in an old sock is great for the dog and for you . I dust my ankles everyday

Re: Chiggers - 08/27/16 09:37 PM

Ive used the sulfer and sock trick with good results, just wasnt sure about doing it to the dog.
Thanks Shooter.
Posted By: houstonLBD

Re: Chiggers - 08/27/16 09:48 PM

Do you have your dog on Trifexis or Nexgard? I don't think either product advertises protecting against chiggers, but with Nexgard killing fleas and ticks when they bite, I would think it would be possible it would kill a chigger if they bite?

Re: Chiggers - 08/28/16 12:07 PM

She is on sentinel and nexgard. Tried Trifexis on all my dogs and they all had negative reactions to it so just went back to what I know has worked for me in the past.

I dont know of any heartworm or flea/tick meds that states anything about chiggers.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum