Texas Hunting Forum

South Texas Gun Dog

Posted By: erathar

South Texas Gun Dog - 06/12/16 10:47 PM

Looking into getting a good hunting dog. It would be primarily for dove and some duck. Also any other bird species down here. What breed would yall suggest? Thanks.
Posted By: Nitronx898

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/12/16 11:26 PM

For dove and ducks I would go with a lab.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/12/16 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Nitronx898
For dove and ducks I would go with a lab.

Bingo.
Posted By: ORANGEFLY

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/13/16 02:08 PM

There is a lady in Johnson County that has a 1/2 lab 1/2 blue lacy that needs a new home! Let me know if you need the information
Posted By: erathar

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/14/16 03:02 AM

Any other recommendations? I'm not opposed to another lab, just hate the shedding.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/14/16 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: erathar
Any other recommendations? I'm not opposed to another lab, just hate the shedding.

All your typical bird dog breeds are going to shed.

You can go with an upland breed such as a GSP or Vizila but you are wanting a retriever. The other breeds can be taught to retrieve but it doesn't come as natural.

One of my best friends dove hunts with an Irish Terrier because he needs a non-shedding breed. He wants to make her a duck dog but not sure how it's going to work out.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/14/16 04:10 AM

Lab
Posted By: MS1454

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/14/16 01:21 PM

Boykin spaniel. Not sure if they shed or not and I would think they would handle the heat better than a lab.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/14/16 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: MS1454
Boykin spaniel. Not sure if they shed or not and I would think they would handle the heat better than a lab.

I hunt regularly with a friend of mines Boykin. Great little dove dog and handles the heat very well and much better than a lab. He's also done well as a duck dog.

They shed though quite a bit and have a long coat.
Posted By: RayB

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/15/16 11:23 AM

Vizsla, put a neoprene vest on them for ducks. If they shed you won't know it, their hair is so short you can't see it
Posted By: Pointer

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/15/16 12:42 PM

Not kidding here, you could try a standard poodle. Very smart, and I understand they don't shed. You would certainly have something that would stimulate conversations in the duck blind.
Posted By: houstonLBD

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/15/16 08:17 PM

Boykin Spaniel are kings of the dove field. There is a reason September 1st is Boykin Spaniel Day in South Carolina. They are also great in the duck blind. As far as coat and shedding, the coats can vary from Boykin to Boykin, from short/wavy to long/curly. My Boykin has a very short coat with minimal shedding (way less than a lab). In her 4 years, I have only given her a summer cut once, and thats only because we were training in fairly extreme heat, and wanted to be able to dry her off faster. Here's a picture of my Boykin, with the way her coat length looks all year long, never changes.

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/15/16 08:43 PM

If you go the Boykin route, be sure to check that the breeder has all the necessary health clearances. Quite a few genetic diseases have been identified in Boykins, and some breeders aren't testing for them. Here's a link to a list of the things to look for. http://boykinspaniel.org/pages/boykin-spaniel-/inherited-disease-test-checklist-
Posted By: dune2218

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/16/16 02:26 AM

Poodles dont shed ------ they can often out retrieve a lab ------- what I found is that though they will run a lab into the ground getting tennis balls,,, they are not natural hunters ------ there is a difference, and that is why no hunters use them. .
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/16/16 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: houstonLBD
Boykin Spaniel are kings of the dove field.
I may beg to differ after this season coming up. I have field bred cockers and and have never in my life seen any thing that will beat them on a retrieve. You ain't beating Buster to a downed bird.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/16/16 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1

I may beg to differ after this season coming up. I have field bred cockers and and have never in my life seen any thing that will beat them on a retrieve. You ain't beating Buster to a downed bird.

I have 'em, too. Keep going like the Energizer Bunny. And nobody hunts dead any harder. Tons of heart, but they shed.

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/16/16 10:37 AM

I love me some field bred cockers. But, the op asked for a dove/duck dog, and it's hard to argue with getting a Boykin if you do mostly dove with some duck. Boykins were bred for duck hunting, but their smaller (than a lab) frame and high energy makes them very ideal for dove as well. And since they have that spaniel instinct, they make great flushing dogs as well. Great dual purpose dogs (retriever/upland).

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/16/16 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Pointer
Originally Posted By: bobcat1

I have 'em, too. Keep going like the Energizer Bunny. And nobody hunts dead any harder. Tons of heart, but they shed.
That they do. We brush ours in the evening before we bring them in. Lord they get dirty. We have a horse trough they bail into when they get hot. it's rare to catch them napping outside. Now when they come in they are excited for about 15 minutes and run around and play but then hop up into your lap and get their petting and nap in.
Posted By: JEmberson

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/16/16 12:56 PM

I had a sprocker...springer/cocker. Hardest working dog I've had to date. Had cockers before but in flowing tidal estuary I used to hunt, they weren't strong enough. The mix was just right. He would hunt himself to death on a busy day. I'd put him up and let my lab run for fear of him hurting himself again. First few blind retrieves of the day he would always over work, once the excitement of being out wore off he was brilliant. Never lost a bird to that dog.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/16/16 08:22 PM

I"m not advocating for a Boykin, but as a point of interest(no pun intended) that most hunters dont know,, they also point -------------- I know other hunters that agree with bobcat about the field cockers.

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/16/16 09:41 PM

Donald my cockers won't point them. They do their damndest to catch them though. LOL Pen raised bird would be dead meat.
Posted By: bentman

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/19/16 05:33 PM

LOL LOL LOL....Guys he wants a dog that does not shed. OK I might be able to get with a Cocker Spaniel in the dove field but not duck hunting. I lab with run circles around a Cocker Spaniel on show many different levels.
Posted By: TX TCAT

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/21/16 03:55 PM

A brief Google search tells me that you're going to want some sort of doodle/retriever mix (labradoodle, goldendoodle, etc) or a pudelpointer/wirehaired pointing griffon. The google search was for Hypoallergenic Hunting Dog Breeds.
Posted By: LReichardt

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/25/16 12:35 AM

How about a German Wirehaired Pointer. I've always hunted labs, but due to the shedding I am looking at other breeds. Only negatives I've found on the them is that they have a serious disposition, can be little aloof of strangers, and are hell on cats and other small animals. I will say their looks are not for everyone. Some folks even use them to track deer as well as they will pretty much hunt anything.

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/25/16 04:35 PM

Gwp don't handle the heat well.
Posted By: silverranger

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/30/16 03:05 AM

I have German wire hair pointer, we use him for Dove hunting, great reteiver, my boys use him for ducks, I never would believe he would reteiver this good, handles heat in Texas good, I think ugliest dog I have had, some reason girls love his looks

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 06/30/16 03:08 AM

The look is an acquired taste I guess. Maybe it's the beard.
Posted By: GMG1

Re: South Texas Gun Dog - 07/05/16 12:57 AM

I have thought this through myself, and decided on a Boykin. I have not had the opportunity to go through with it yet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum