Texas Hunting Forum

Cooked Venison for dogs??

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Cooked Venison for dogs?? - 04/22/16 01:43 AM

Just thinking, I have a ton of Axis and Whitetail ground meat (no fat added) would it be okay to cook and keep refrigerated and feed it to Jessie my lab?

I've got her on Eukanuba, she loves it. Just thinking about the cooked venison.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Cooked Venison for dogs?? - 04/22/16 01:49 AM

You could give it raw but I would only use it to supplement the kibble you are already feeding.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Cooked Venison for dogs?? - 04/22/16 02:15 AM

I grew up with Mom cooking the old stuff for the dogs. 'Can't see where'd it hurt. Unless you have some sensitive stomach, foo-foo dog. Start off with breakfast so the dog spends most of the day outside, just in case there's a rejection.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Cooked Venison for dogs?? - 04/22/16 03:31 AM

It's a lean meat, lab will cut wait quick if not watched. But it's good for the dog.
Posted By: arandy

Re: Cooked Venison for dogs?? - 04/23/16 10:57 AM

I feed de-boned deer meat scraps raw when available and freeze some to feed bird dogs that need a little extra when being run hard and have for years. Raw, not cooked. Never seen a dog that did not love raw deer meat and can't imagine why it should be cooked for a dog.
Posted By: DirtyDave

Re: Cooked Venison for dogs?? - 05/07/16 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Catch Dog
It's a lean meat, lab will cut wait quick if not watched. But it's good for the dog.

Most Labs could cut a little weight lol.

But seriously, no need to cook it. Feed it raw
Posted By: DirtyDave

Re: Cooked Venison for dogs?? - 05/07/16 02:42 PM

This reminds me, I need to clean out my freezer and see whats lurking on the bottom that I have forgotten about. Dogs dont mind freezer burnt meat lol
Posted By: jimbob

Re: Cooked Venison for dogs?? - 05/23/16 05:01 PM

Mine Lab loves it either cooked or raw. Actually buy her food from Wellness which sells a venison canned food.
Its her favorite.
Posted By: Blackrain

Re: Cooked Venison for dogs?? - 05/24/16 02:28 AM

Raw is much better for them.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Cooked Venison for dogs?? - 05/24/16 02:44 AM

My daughter chops up deer livers and makes dog treats. I am not sure exactly how she prepares them, but the labs love them and they obey every word she says when she has some for them.
Posted By: Mud Shark

Re: Cooked Venison for dogs?? - 05/24/16 06:42 PM

I wouldn't make a habit out of it, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them as treats.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum