Texas Hunting Forum

I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels

Posted By: pharmvet

I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/11/16 12:03 PM

My pointers stay in these barrels in my kennel. I use hay for warmth/ padding but my dog are continuously pushing hay out, making the kennel difficult to wash, and eventually emptying the barrel of hay. I'm looking for some type of stiff durable 1-3" thick mattress that I can roll up and push through the opening and let it uncurl so that it will stay in the barrel. I have even considered bolting it to the barrel with carriage bolts if necessary. Any suggestions or ideas?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/11/16 01:36 PM

We just had that on here. You might want to put plywood on top of the barrels. Dogs like to get up there.
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/11/16 02:21 PM

Don't put anything. Dogs are a destructive force second only to a great white or a toddler. The benefit is not worth the risk associated with intestinal obstruction.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/11/16 10:48 PM

http://k9ballistics.com/

Been using these for almost a year and not one hole tore in them yet. They are pricey but the work great in my kennels.

Also if you turn those barrels the other way and put the big part down the hay or shavings will stay in better.
Posted By: blanked

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/12/16 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: maximumintensityretriever
Don't put anything. Dogs are a destructive force second only to a great white or a toddler. The benefit is not worth the risk associated with intestinal obstruction.

This. Continue to use hay, straw or pine shavings
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/12/16 01:10 PM

Cedar Chips or Pine Shavings. I used only Pine shavings this past winter in all my dog houses and dog boxes and it works great, washes out of kennels much easier than Hay or straw. (so does Cedar chips but they are more expensive) Any kind of mat or pad that I have tried, was chewed up. Not worth the vet bills when / if something hangs up.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/12/16 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1

Been using these for almost a year and not one hole tore in them yet. They are pricey but the work great in my kennels.

Also if you turn those barrels the other way and put the big part down the hay or shavings will stay in better.

Bobby, I'm guess I'm dense. Not following what you're saying. Turn the barrels how?
Posted By: Cast

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/12/16 04:41 PM

He is saying to orient the door so that the high threshold step is on the bottom. No more kicking the straw out over the higher threshold.
Posted By: pharmvet

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/12/16 05:41 PM

The only reason I have not turned them over is because I was concerned with the dogs damaging their nipples going in and out.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/12/16 06:09 PM

if you use shaving use thick coarse flaked shavings to keep build up out of eyes, ears

id put a heavy weaved quilt in them.. or sometype of braided material.
Posted By: Cast

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/12/16 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: pharmvet
The only reason I have not turned them over is because I was concerned with the dogs damaging their nipples going in and out.

Split some hose and cover the sharp edges.
Posted By: Scoutdog

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/12/16 10:05 PM

We've used cedar/pine shavings inside of a cheap zippered pillow case liner. It makes it easy to change or clean when needed. Various pads were destroyed, but since going to the pillow case they have left them alone.

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/12/16 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Originally Posted By: bobcat1

Bobby, I'm guess I'm dense. Not following what you're saying. Turn the barrels how?
Just spin them 180 degrees. Now I wouldn't have them that high off the ground because like pharmvet said nipples or Johnson's could get damaged. I do not use hay inside only Cedar Shavings on outdoor kennels.

Those pads from K9 Ballistics go in their travelling/night kennels. We bring them in at night. Cockers can tear up anything and do. They have yet to damage these. That's all I was saying.
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/12/16 11:02 PM

I used to put plywood in front of the barrels. They would lay on the plywood then step into the barrel
Robby
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/12/16 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61
I used to put plywood in front of the barrels. They would lay on the plywood then step into the barrel
Robby

Bingo. I would lower the barrels, by cutting down the legs, turn the barrels over and top them with plywood.

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/13/16 03:15 AM

I used to use the bare barrel tops when teaching whoa. Styled them up and then bumped the barrel with my knees when they moved I would repeat whoa and style them again. Seemed to make them rock solid on the ground on whoa. Judges used to tell me my dogs looked as good on whoa as they did pointed. 5-10 minute sessions daily. But what do I know.........
Posted By: rex47

Re: I need ideas for padding/cushion/mattress in my dog barrels - 04/13/16 01:48 PM

Lower, turn over, tilt to the back. straw will stay in.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum