Texas Hunting Forum

Retriever Clubsknow of a

Posted By: Bruin

Retriever Clubsknow of a - 03/16/16 10:21 PM

Way back in the '80s, I had a few pretty good Labs and found a retrieving club to find ways to improve my skills as a tainer /owner.
Does anyone know or recommend a retriever club in the Beaumont or Mid county area?
I just got back into duck hunting 3 yrs ago and have a female lab that I have had in training
Posted By: TX_Diver

Re: Retriever Clubsknow of a - 03/18/16 06:45 PM

Not sure how close Colorado River Retriever Club is but I think they meet in League City or Alvin currently?
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Retriever Clubsknow of a - 03/19/16 04:03 PM

if your lab is not trained after 3 yrs,,, I'd give up and get another one.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Retriever Clubsknow of a - 03/19/16 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: dune2218
if your lab is not trained after 3 yrs,,, I'd give up and get another one.

Seriously!?

IMO training never stops until the dog is retired. Most dogs don't hit their prime till 4,5 or 6 years old.

3 year old dog is still a young dog.

Plus he didn't even say the dog was three years old just that he got back into duck hunting three years ago.
Posted By: Bruin

Re: Retriever Clubsknow of a - 03/21/16 01:30 AM

Thanks Brady Buck
I purchased my British Labrador puppy from a kennel north of Beaumont that has an excellent scotish ans english field trial champion pedigree.
I researched several trainers from Georgia , Missippi, Louisiana and Texas. I worked with the female pup for 6 months and then sent her to IronSpike Kennels located north of Woodville. I like their training philosophy and methods.

I just wanted to find a club where I could improve as a owner and amatuer trainer
I found one close
I was referred to Port Arthur Retriever Club established in the '60s

BRady Buck is right ..... duck dogs can go well to 9 yrs old or older depending on the dog
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum