Texas Hunting Forum

Brittany/ Lab mix

Posted By: BrianCook_RanchSales

Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/25/16 12:45 AM

I'm looking for a brittany/lab mix breeder. I will be getting a puppy in May, and would love to find that mix. Or a english springer/ lab mix. If anyone knows a breeder or is a breeder of either of those mixes, I would like to get your contact info!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/25/16 01:24 AM

Welcome to the forum. Why?

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/25/16 03:18 AM

Thanks! As a hunting dog, I do a lot of quail hunting and our lab is getting to old, if thats what you were asking
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/25/16 03:59 AM

Have you owned or hunted behind one, or are you hoping to get the best of both breeds. I'm curious if you find one. Keep us posted. welcome

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/25/16 04:13 AM

I have not. I have had both a lab and an english springer spaniel; and have heard good things about a mix. I loved my english springer, but am preferring a brittany this time around.If I cannot find a mix, I will find a good brittany pup instead.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/25/16 02:53 PM

He wants a Labany. Bad idea for a cross that includes who knows what other multi generational breeds or muts to get the look they are selling. If your heart is set on it, your best bet would be if your lucky to find a needle in a haystack accidental breeding between two known hunting dogs and hope a chosen pup grows into more brit than lab. But a so called breeder doing this, is not pairing dogs for hunting or temperament and going to be way overpriced for what it is. Watch in the dog classifieds at the top of this forum. Some Brittany pups come up from time to time. You don't have enough posts to be able to post in the classifieds, but you can send those breeders and individuals private messages to inquire. Good luck
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/25/16 03:09 PM

Get a brit. Look at my neighbor's new pup.

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/25/16 05:05 PM

Well I'm leaning toward a Brit if i can't find a mix, so if anyone knows any good breeders or places to contact. Please let me know!
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/25/16 05:29 PM

www.FLYINGORANCH.COM
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/25/16 10:02 PM

I would also encourage you to stay away from a “hunting dog mix”… it’s more likely you will get the worst of both breeds rather than the best of both breeds. I’ve had two mixes in my life, not because I was looking for one, but because I’m a dog guy and have trouble turning down a free pup. I had a Lab/Golden Retriever mix from pedigreed dogs on both sides and he turned out to be scared of water (wouldn’t even walk on wet grass) and was a total boot licker. Not a bad pet at all, just didn’t hunt or retrieve and he lived to 16 y/o I wouldn't have traded him for the world, but he was no hunter. I’ve also had a Pointer/GSP mix that was like trying to handle a kite in a hurricane. He pointed everything BUT birds. He ran zero to "out-of-sight-out-of-collar-range" faster than you could blink. He was an escape artist and ended up scaling a 8’ fence and got run over... bad deal.

Figure out what you want more out of a dog and look at a breed that will work for you. There are some really good versatile breeds that will give you upland and migratory hunting performance.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/25/16 10:41 PM

I hunted with a guide in South Texas years ago that had GSP/Brittany drops. They were freaking machines on quail. Some of the best dogs I have ever hunted behind and he bred them that way on purpose. It was no accident.

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/26/16 12:01 AM

That makes a lot of sense, thanks first chance. I'm definitely leaning toward a pure bred Brit now
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/26/16 12:36 AM

When I owned a Brittany, my dog too was involved in accidental breeding. It was with my next door neighbor's Golden Retriever. They only went to family pet homes. Of the few I got feedback on from my neighbor, I remember him basically saying the were bat crazy hyper dogs. When I ran hounds, I know there were people who did intentional mixed crosses between treeing breeds to create hybrid vigor as they put it. But I and everyone I hunted with, papered or not, stuck with purebred hounds.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/29/16 01:16 AM

Mixes are not a good idea,,, if they were, you would see them all the time. You had a lab and an English Cocker, and you think a Brittany will be better than either of those for retrieving? wow.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/29/16 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: dune2218
Mixes are not a good idea,,, if they were, you would see them all the time. You had a lab and an English Cocker, and you think a Brittany will be better than either of those for retrieving? wow.

I don't see anywhere that he said he thinks a Brittany would be a better retriever than an a Lab or Cocker. He said he quail hunts and is looking for another dog. Wow.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/29/16 02:43 PM

I've seen a oops dog Brit/EP cross that made a excellent hunting dog.
I wouldn't say thats the norm, and the people just wanted the pups gone.
Oops dog litters are normally free, or cheap. Just enough to cover 1st shots/worming.

IMO
Most breeders doing the designer dog crosses, are just cashing in on the latest fade.
They can makeup a new name, and charge twice as much for what most would consider a mutt.
Like everything else there are exceptions to the rule.
Ones that breed these dogs for their own use, like NorthTxbirdhunter mentioned above.
Don't know if its the same person, but I remember seeing a string of bird dog crosses for sale extremely cheap. The owner had past away, and the family had no use for them.
Homeland was breeding lab/vizsla crosses sometime back, wanting to put more nose on their labs. I don't know if it turned out like they thought it would. I've only seen a couple of purebred vizslas in the program.

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 02/29/16 05:24 PM

Thanks Bird dog man. Just asking around and getting some ideas dune. Never said I was just looking for a retriever either. Calm yourself.

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 03/07/16 02:56 AM

""". I loved my english springer, but am preferring a brittany this time around.If I cannot find a mix, I will find a good brittany pup instead.""""

Did I read it wrong???

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 03/07/16 03:52 AM

No sir, you are correct that those were my exact words. I thank you for your help in leading me away from a mix, and I have put payment down for a brittany pup to be born in the next couple weeks. However, I had already said that I was leaning toward a brittany before you commented. Also, you said that I said I believed a brittany was a better retrieving dog. I never said that. I have no problem with advice, that is why i posted, I wanted opinions. However, you repeated something I was already told and making things up, I do have a problem with. Lucky for me, you made yourself look like an a$$, so I don't have to say anymore. Sorry bud

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 03/07/16 04:55 AM

lol classic non- hunter pretending ---- I"m sure you can pet your brittany while your wife is telling you to get off the couch and cut the grass. and bring her another dozen donuts !!! Nothing wrong with that, pretending is fun ( I guess).

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 03/07/16 04:59 AM

Haha, alright bud
Posted By: Nitronx898

Re: Brittany/ Lab mix - 03/18/16 01:04 AM

How soon are you wanting a Brittany pup. I bred my male to a friends female last month (a month today) if you might be interested. Not sure of your location but I'm on the east side of Houston.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum