Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for two gsp pups

Posted By: cactusflyr

Looking for two gsp pups - 02/14/16 01:54 AM

Riding back from west tx as I type. Great hunt but short two dogs. Looking for two pups from hunting parents. Not field trial. Fire away. Any recommendations appreciated. Have a trainer so training not a necessity.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Looking for two gsp pups - 02/14/16 05:45 AM

I have gsp's,(not puppies), just out of curiosity,,, what are you expecting to pay for puppies?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Looking for two gsp pups - 02/14/16 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: cactusflyr
Riding back from west tx as I type. Great hunt but short two dogs. Looking for two pups from hunting parents. Not field trial. Fire away. Any recommendations appreciated. Have a trainer so training not a necessity.

Why not NSTRA bred?

Re: Looking for two gsp pups - 02/15/16 03:26 AM

Might have put it the wrong way....Have a labrador for ducks, nose is bred out of them for field trial...graded on following directions and running straight lines, don't want them catching a smell and deviating so the nose is bred out as best they can. Made sure I got her from some good hunting stock and she has been awesome.

Idk if any of that happens with field trial gsp's, but had two ft gsp's out with ours last year, and ours outperformed them hands down. Chime in if you wish...what are field trial quail dogs graded on?

Guess they can have field trial experience but must be a real hunting dog, wild birds, hunted often.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Looking for two gsp pups - 02/15/16 04:25 AM

You couldn't be more wrong about field trial Labradors.

Re: Looking for two gsp pups - 02/15/16 12:37 PM

i call bs then.

Re: Looking for two gsp pups - 02/15/16 01:27 PM

Might have put it the wrong way....Have a labrador for ducks, nose is bred out of them for field trial...graded on following directions and running straight lines, don't want them catching a smell and deviating so the nose is bred out as best they can. Made sure I got her from some good hunting stock and she has been awesome.

Idk if any of that happens with field trial gsp's, but had two ft gsp's out with ours last year, and ours outperformed them hands down. Chime in if you wish...what are field trial quail dogs graded on?

Guess they can have field trial experience but must be a real hunting dog, wild birds, hunted often.

The dog that finds the most birds in NSTRA wins. It takes a good nose to find birds.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Looking for two gsp pups - 02/15/16 07:03 PM

i call bs then.

How so?

Explain how you can breed the nose out of a dog??

The fact is good FT and HT dogs must have excellent noses!

They must find birds in heavy cover. They must also be able to use their nose to find bumpers. They must also be able to distinguish the bird they are looking for from all the other previous areas where birds have been and the smell of the birds that have been carried back.

The facts are that good field trial and hunt test dogs make excellent hunting dogs. 90% of people don't understand what these dogs are capable of.

Of course if you took a dog that's only competed in field trials out hunting one day he's not going to be better than an experienced dog that's been on hundreds of hunts....however, give that field trial dog a few hunts under his belt and he could be amazing.

Re: Looking for two gsp pups - 02/16/16 02:28 AM

agreed...didn't come here to argue. Maybe they had only done field trials, idk, Just looking for two good pups.

Re: Looking for two gsp pups - 02/16/16 02:37 AM

A friend called me yesterday looking for a couple of setter pups. It seems as if all bird dog pups are difficult to find. The quail hunting went down and a lot of people got out of bird dogs. Now they are getting back in.
Posted By: DL_02

Re: Looking for two gsp pups - 02/16/16 03:15 AM

I have two 9 week old females. PM me for details.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum