Texas Hunting Forum

Coyotes

Posted By: DoveMaster

Coyotes - 01/24/16 06:01 AM

I'm possibly going to be moving to an area, with a healthy population of Coyotes around and i have 2 Brittanys (male and female).... Talked to a neighbor to the land, and he said i should be really careful with my dogs, since Coyotes will come in an attack. Can anyone give credit to that? Now i'm concerned for my dogs. I guess, i could always fence them in close to the home i would build. Any thoughts appreciated.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Coyotes - 01/24/16 01:07 PM

Buy you a donkey to guard your dogs.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Coyotes - 01/24/16 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: DoveMaster
I'm possibly going to be moving to an area, with a healthy population of Coyotes around and i have 2 Brittanys (male and female).... Talked to a neighbor to the land, and he said i should be really careful with my dogs, since Coyotes will come in an attack. Can anyone give credit to that? Now i'm concerned for my dogs. I guess, i could always fence them in close to the home i would build. Any thoughts appreciated.

Were you planning on just letting your dog's run lose?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Coyotes - 01/24/16 02:46 PM

Nothing good can come of your dogs when they're running free, even in your fenced yard when you're not home. Build a kennel while you're building your house. Here's what I did for mine.

Posted By: Sherpa Dog

Re: Coyotes - 01/24/16 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: tigger
Buy you a donkey to guard your dogs.

X2 on the donkey security guard, combined with a nice kennel would be a good combination
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Coyotes - 01/24/16 04:39 PM

There is some credit to that. Coyotes can attack your dogs.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Coyotes - 01/25/16 12:42 AM

I have never seen a situation when a dog can run free and do as it wishes, end well. It's just not going to. I have known several to let dogs run free, they never have the dog past 6 years or so. Either hit by car, stolen or killed by wild animals. Never fails.
Posted By: DoveMaster

Re: Coyotes - 01/25/16 02:09 AM

so Donkey's drive off Coyotes, never hear of, that's pretty wild... Yeah, i was planning on building a fenced in area for them to stay, and crate them at night. Just rattled me hearing that from a neighborman out there.... I guess, they could easily make a meal out of a domestic dog, i suppose.
Posted By: TX_Diver

Re: Coyotes - 01/25/16 02:40 AM

Supposedly so yes.

We've got one with our sheep and haven't lost any to predators yet. Did lose one to the donkey though when they were finally introduced! They don't mess around.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Coyotes - 01/25/16 11:53 AM

I have donkeys. They will kill coyotes, but they will kill your dogs too. My dogs are not allowed in the same pasture as the donkeys. I had one of my old dogs get into a pasture with a donkey and it was brutal. I don't know how the dog survived.

There are other animals that will protect your dogs from coyotes. Llamas will protect your dogs and supposedly will not hurt your dogs if properly introduced. Livestock guard dogs will protect against coyotes, but I have heard good and bad when it comes to the owners dogs.

Any animal that will protect against coyotes has the potential to kill your dogs.

I have donkeys, llamas, and an alpaca and I will not let my dogs anywhere near them.
Posted By: PSHOT

Re: Coyotes - 01/25/16 01:42 PM

If you are going to fence the yard, go with a 6 foot fence. A few years ago, I saw a coyote at my backyard fence trying to entice one of my labs to 'come out and play'. Coyote was acting pretty playful. I'm sure that just out of sight was the rest of the pack ready to attack. I only had a 4 foot fence at the time and the lab could clear it easily. I'm glad I got Max's attention before he jumped the fence. The coyote escaped without harm as my wife put my 12 gauge back in the gun cabinet. It was sitting on top of the freezer by the back door. I have had coyotes jump over a 5 foot fence around my chicken coop. Six foot hasn't been a problem.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Coyotes - 01/25/16 03:25 PM

I pack of them will kill a dog. I wouldn't leave mine out all night without being in a kennel or something especially if I had a Brittany sized dog.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum