Texas Hunting Forum

No bark collars

Posted By: Buzzsaw

No bark collars - 01/21/16 12:14 AM

My one year old lab Jessie gets mad at me when I wont get my lazy azz off the couch and go throw bumbers for her or take her for a walk.

She will bark her head off till I grab the healing stick and whack her booty. I thought maybe when we are inside and I'm "trying" to relax after a long work day, a bark collar might stop this.

She's mad cause she is home alone all day sleeping or tearing stuff up, while I'm working and when I get home she's ready to rock and I'm ready to chill. I do take her for a walk or throw bumpers everyday when I get home,

lost cause???
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: No bark collars - 01/21/16 12:27 AM

The bark collars do work. Also, tie her out a few times outside. They like that.
Posted By: nak

Re: No bark collars - 01/21/16 04:58 AM

We use a collar on Jake when we are at work...the neighbors would run us out if we didn't bang

It definitely works. Most of the collars on the market today have multiple levels of stimulation. Our collar vibrates and beeps at the first bark, then the zap increases with repeated barks. If he is really upset about something, he just barks through it. A battery last about two months.

Down side to the beep function is that if he does not hear the beep, he knows the battery is dead and it's a free for all.

If he gets to barking in the house when we are home, all we have to do is set it on the coffee table.
Posted By: WEEKday warrior

Re: No bark collars - 01/21/16 05:18 AM

Garmin barkmaster deluxe for the neck and a simple water spray bottle for the coffee table. My GSP only barks when she wants her LITTLE brother (13# chihuahua) to play with her. A couple sprays with the water bottle and she's done for the night. Helps with jumping or any other unsavory behavior. The water bottle will prevent any cowering down or really associating any physical punishment for the pup. Having a second dog (even though a lap dog) really helps expend the extra energy.
Posted By: Angie B

Re: No bark collars - 01/21/16 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
My one year old lab Jessie gets mad at me when I wont get my lazy azz off the couch and go throw bumbers for her or take her for a walk.

She will bark her head off till I grab the healing stick and whack her booty. I thought maybe when we are inside and I'm "trying" to relax after a long work day, a bark collar might stop this.

She's mad cause she is home alone all day sleeping or tearing stuff up, while I'm working and when I get home she's ready to rock and I'm ready to chill. I do take her for a walk or throw bumpers everyday when I get home,

lost cause???

This approach doesn't work for children or dogs. She's been crated or kenneled all day tearing stuff up and when you get home you wonder why she wants some exercise and attention?? *what*

Get off your tired fat a$$ and spend some time with your dog. If you can't,,, find it a new home or take it back to the breeder.

A chuckit could be your best friend but you will have to go to the yard for 15 minutes to wear her out... (sheesh)

Angie
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: No bark collars - 01/22/16 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Angie B

lost cause???

This approach doesn't work for children or dogs. She's been crated or kenneled all day tearing stuff up and when you get home you wonder why she wants some exercise and attention?? *what*

Get off your tired fat a$$ and spend some time with your dog. If you can't,,, find it a new home or take it back to the breeder.

A chuckit could be your best friend but you will have to go to the yard for 15 minutes to wear her out... (sheesh)

Angie

Bingo.

Re: No bark collars - 01/24/16 12:27 AM

I need a doggie treadmill...

I throw bumpers for her every afternoon for 30 minutes , she is just a spoiled pup, gets everything she wants, its ok.

I guess if she was living on a trainers truck or in a cold run with a bunch of client dogs, she would never sleep and always be worn out??? confused2
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: No bark collars - 01/24/16 02:27 AM

How much room do you have access to close to home? Roading her with an ATV or even a bike would help her burn some energy. If you have room running 3 or more long pattern blinds or even cold blinds would burn energy and keep her tuned up with little time or effort.

Re: No bark collars - 01/24/16 06:07 PM

Hey Tony, thanks for the input. I've thought about using my golf cart, scared i'd run over her. I found some land close by where she can run and its far from roads.

Posted By: Cast

Re: No bark collars - 01/24/16 06:14 PM

I've got three of them that know when it's time to go to the cave. They all get up and gather round my chair. I get up, they go nuts. I spend a couple hours out with them almost every day. They stay inside in their crates when we're not home.

Re: No bark collars - 01/24/16 07:29 PM

they are great dogs!!
Posted By: Judd

Re: No bark collars - 01/28/16 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Angie B

Angie

Stay classy bang

Buzz...you need a neighborhood kid to help you. All kids love to play with dogs. Get them to throw a frisbee or a chuckit ball just something for a while to burn off some steam.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: No bark collars - 01/28/16 07:39 PM

You can also train them not to bark with your E Collar.
Posted By: GimmeABuck

Re: No bark collars - 02/01/16 12:03 AM

I think there's a better way to teach a dog to be quiet. I actually teach my dogs a relaxation response... I wouldn't feel right shocking a dog for just being excited and ready to play. Plus, if you don't teach the dog WHAT to do instead, it's just suppressing the behavior and it can manifest in other ways like anxiety, pacing, etc. It's often called "sit on the dog". It has always worked for me (except for with one rescue I had, but she was a total mess. It did at least help though.)

Get ya a big handful of treats or kibble (depending on how food motivated she is) and leash her. Sit on the couch and hold the leash or just sit on it so she can't get free. the second she just sits there, give her a treat. She'll probably act really good, waiting for another, but don't reward the behavior while she's paying attention to the food. Reward her only when she chills out. Randomly reward her for that behavior and do it for at least half an hour at a time. She will be resistant at first and maybe go through a phase of whining, flopping around like a fish, etc. Ignore it. Soon she will learn to just come settle at your feet.

This has saved my sanity with my newest German Shepherd.. he's a working dog through and through and had to be taught an off switch, he didn't come with one laugh Now when he's super stimulated, like when we have a bunch of people over or kids running around, he makes the choice to come settle at my feet without the leash. It's worth a shot!
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: No bark collars - 02/04/16 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: maximumintensityretriever
How much room do you have access to close to home? Roading her with an ATV or even a bike would help her burn some energy. If you have room running 3 or more long pattern blinds or even cold blinds would burn energy and keep her tuned up with little time or effort.

Roading on a bike worked wonders for my GSP when he was with me. Helped a ton to "knock the edge off" when I got home from work.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: No bark collars - 02/04/16 05:41 PM

Hey Tony, thanks for the input. I've thought about using my golf cart, scared i'd run over her. I found some land close by where she can run and its far from roads.

eek2 your wheels cost more than my atv
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum