Texas Hunting Forum

Flea control

Posted By: whiteowl

Flea control - 01/14/16 04:22 PM

My dogs have been on Trifexis for heartworm and flea control. I have always given it at feeding time and have had good results controlling fleas. One of them has recently started throwing the pill back up about 15 minutes after I give it. Vet suggested to stop giving it to her so now I am searching for an alternative. We will be going back to HeartGuard for heartworm prevention but looking at options for flea control. My vet suggested NexGard but it is about $130 just for the flea prevention and the $65 for the HeartGaurd for six months. I have not had real good success with the spot on stuff in the past and have been considering the Seresto collar. Anyone have experience with the collar or a better choice. Thanks
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Flea control - 01/14/16 04:29 PM

I use pet armour from walmart. Works great.
Posted By: BAS

Re: Flea control - 01/14/16 04:34 PM

I have been using what they sell at Sam's Club. It may be Pet Armour? I dose every other month. If you read the directions, it says that it has been shown effective at that dosing for moderate numbers of flea and ticks especially if under control in my opinion. I find ticks that attach but languish and no fleas.

If you have children, just be cautious about petting the dog in the shoulder blade/application area for a day or two.

Hope that helps povide an option and another recommendation.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Flea control - 01/14/16 05:41 PM

I don't like the topical solutions either. They are slimy for a little while and our dogs are part of the family and on the couch and bed so that won't work for us.

We've been using Sentential and it's worked fine. Not cheap but does intestial stuff, heartworm and flea all in one pill. It's like a meat chunk they chew up and ours thinks they are treats.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Flea control - 01/14/16 05:42 PM

I don't like the topical solutions either. They are slimy for a little while and our dogs are part of the family and on the couch and bed so that won't work for us.

We've been using Sentential and it's worked fine. Not cheap but does intestial stuff, heartworm and flea all in one pill. It's like a meat chunk they chew up and ours thinks they are treats.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Flea control - 01/14/16 10:19 PM

If you want to give the Trixfexis one more shot I suggest feeding your dog and waiting about 30 minutes THEN give the Trifexis. We had to go this route with one of our labs and it worked.
Posted By: whiteowl

Re: Flea control - 01/15/16 12:54 AM

That's a thought. I really do like the trifexis. Sometimes just have to give with peanut butter to get her to eat it.
Posted By: Sweese

Re: Flea control - 01/15/16 12:55 AM

Sentinel has worked good for my Golden. It takes care of everything.
Posted By: Luke27

Re: Flea control - 01/15/16 01:36 AM

Brevecta works like a charm, zero fleas on all three dogs.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Flea control - 01/15/16 01:46 AM

I simply haven't had any problems in years. I don't remember the last flee I've seen. I give Ivomec.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Flea control - 01/15/16 02:50 AM

bravecto for my 3 and no issues
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Flea control - 01/15/16 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I simply haven't had any problems in years. I don't remember the last flee I've seen. I give Ivomec.

Should clarify mine too, I don't use anything unless I notice a problem. I end up having to use something about 3 months a year (Pet Armour or Pet Armour Plus). My wife works for a pest control company so my property stays pretty much bug free. But I run into issues with a few fleas when I start running down the road to my training area with them and our lease in Oklahoma is the worst i've seen with ticks. Man they were bad this year too, I got home from that first trip and picked ticks off of them the next two days. I usually try to put it on them right before our first trip but didn't this year and regretted it. I also use Ivomec and it does help some too.
Posted By: Stoneface

Re: Flea control - 01/27/16 04:00 AM

I wish I'd seen this sooner. I give Ivomec for heartworm and it does the trick. I heard some guys talking at camp this season saying a trainer they use is old school and uses it and they wish he'd stop. They use it on humans in third world countries, it can't be that bad. And, it works like a champ.

On the Seresto collars. I use them. Their expensive, but they last at least seven months. I have a Setter and Pointer that I split one between. I give the Setter the whole piece because she has a worse problem and then I give the Pointer the leftover. I actually trim the end off and glue it to the inside of her collar. Works like a charm. I'll never use anything else.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Flea control - 01/27/16 07:15 PM

Same here. I also use diatomacious earth topically. It stops the 9 day outbreaks in between Ivomec. So far as guys wishing the trainers wouldn't use Ivomec, the pill forms are the same thing.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Flea control - 01/27/16 07:29 PM

Same here. Also, I use the long chip cedar for bedding in the dog houses in the kennel. It has shown to repel fleas also.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Flea control - 01/27/16 08:51 PM

I have had really good luck with the Seresto Collar's even through all the water work with my retrievers.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Flea control - 02/07/16 06:56 PM

Beneficial nematodes on your yard. Keep the bed clean, that's where fleas lay eggs.

No pests.
Posted By: drjoe

Re: Flea control - 02/08/16 05:29 AM

Bravecto and pro heart injection is one of my favs
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Flea control - 02/11/16 09:04 PM

You guys should all look into including garlic in your dog's diet. It makes the dog an undesirable host for fleas. Haven't seen any fleas at all and I'm not having to put chemicals in my dog's body. It is also a good dewormer and boosts the immune system.

Look up natural ways to prevent intestinal worms and fleas. It will blow your mind.
Posted By: _Lee

Re: Flea control - 02/21/16 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: yakinthebox
You guys should all look into including garlic in your dog's diet. It makes the dog an undesirable host for fleas. Haven't seen any fleas at all and I'm not having to put chemicals in my dog's body. It is also a good dewormer and boosts the immune system.

Look up natural ways to prevent intestinal worms and fleas. It will blow your mind.

Looked into this and I think I'm going to try it out, we have been using a topical since my lab decided she didn't like the taste of Trifexes anymore.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum