Texas Hunting Forum

older dog

Posted By: Kevin Heath

older dog - 01/13/16 05:08 PM

My lab died 5 years ago, and I didn't think he was replaceable, so I didn't. Well apparently over the course of the hunting season this past year, I have mentioned how much I miss bird hunting ( I live on the edge of a milo farm, so I see birds all the time), to which my wife would say "well, Go!" To which I'd respond along the lines "not as much fun without a dog".
So, last week my wife comes home with a registered 2.5 y.o.Chocolate lab, he belonged to one of the coaches at the high school where she teaches. He knows NOTHING, apparently he lived in the back yard, only occasionally interacted with and doesn't even have basic manners. On the plus side, he is very sweet, wants to please. Picked up the basics of sit and down pretty quick. So my question, after all of this is. Where can I find a training reference geared towards older dogs? Is it even necessary? I trained my old dog, but a) that was 20 years ago and b) my hunting partner was a dog trainer and walked me thru it. So any and all help is very appreciated.
Posted By: mbole

Re: older dog - 01/13/16 05:11 PM

I would think the principles should be the same. Just going to have to work extra hard to get him excited to retrieve.
Bill Hillmann says his stuff will work with older dogs as well and his stuff is really about getting that dog "wild to retrieve."
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: older dog - 01/13/16 05:14 PM

The dog is not that old.
Posted By: Cast

Re: older dog - 01/13/16 05:16 PM

If you can get the dog's attention and hold it, you can train him. I think dogs really want to learn.
Posted By: Judd

Re: older dog - 01/13/16 06:00 PM

For a very basic and cheap program get Chris Akins "Duck Dog Basics"...if the dog wants to please then he's trainable. Then decide if you want to take the training further.

Congrats on the new pup...sounds like you both got what you needed.
Posted By: Sweese

Re: older dog - 01/13/16 06:22 PM

Kevin,

I would proceed like you have a new 7 week old puppy. There may be a few bad habits with a 2 year old dog that has been left alone, but deal with those, if any, when they arise.

There are some great resources out there to get you started. Go to www.gundogsupply.com and look at retriever training books and videos.

The first things on your list are:

Socialization
Kennel training
House breaking??
Initial retrieves
Introduction to water, birds and gun
Basic obedience

Look for a local retriever club so you can connect with others, get access to training grounds, birds, and other training tips and supplies.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: older dog - 01/26/16 12:58 AM

Thanks everybody, Jesse has settled in nicely. I'd post a picture if i could figure out how. I went to gundogspply.com, like sweese suggested and i think wecare on the way!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum