Texas Hunting Forum

English Springer Spaniel trainer

Posted By: rclee

English Springer Spaniel trainer - 12/22/15 07:34 PM

I will be looking for a trainer next spring for my Springer. Since I tend to research things a lot I'm starting to look now. I'm planning to hunt dove and quail when (if) the dog is ready - I'm not looking for competitions or events unless it is to just help with the training.

I'm in Missouri City/Houston so close to there is preferred. I've found one online in Liberty Hill - Rachel Allenby at Allenby Gunroom and Kennels) and one in Tivoli - David Jones at Strong Gundogs). Any feedback on them or suggestions on others to consider would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: English Springer Spaniel trainer - 12/22/15 09:08 PM

Got my springer from Rachel. Not sure she trains anymore but it's worth a shot. I sent mine for one month of training with Todd Anderson in Olney, TX and that's all he needed. They are some super cool little bird dogs. Good Luck
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: English Springer Spaniel trainer - 12/22/15 09:15 PM

David Jones is an old friend of mine. I haven't seen him in several years, but have kept in touch with him by email. I trust him.
Posted By: Texastiger

Re: English Springer Spaniel trainer - 12/22/15 11:36 PM

I am aware of the Houston springer spaniel club located near the Huntsville area. They do weekend training as well as field trials there but may also be able to recommend a reputable trainer. My one year old pups grandfather is one of their dogs.

http://www.springercreekranch.com/index.html
Posted By: rclee

Re: English Springer Spaniel trainer - 12/29/15 09:01 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll be following up after the first of the year. Anyone else have suggestions or input?
Posted By: blanked

Re: English Springer Spaniel trainer - 12/30/15 10:14 AM

My input. Training is a never ending thing. There's always something that needs attention. Sending the dog off to the trainer for a month or 2 is not a cure all for the rest of dogs hunting years. Find a trainers that will train you also

Or better yet buy a training video or book and train yourself.
Posted By: Sweese

Re: English Springer Spaniel trainer - 12/30/15 01:55 PM

Here is a link to the North Texas Sporting Spaniel Club. You may want to drop them an email regarding trainers in Texas.

http://www.ntssc.org/index.html
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum