Texas Hunting Forum

College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help

Posted By: Aggie 18

College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help - 11/24/15 03:48 PM

Hi,
I am a Sophomore at Texas A&M planning on getting a female black lab puppy. I really want to train her the right way and am seeking any advice or tools that could help me. I have read everything online and watched every video possible but really want more. I have researched some of the training program dvds/books and they are out of a college kids budget. If anyone has any training material lying around they aren't using i'd really appreciate the opportunity to borrow them. I will return in a timely manner and reimburse for shipping.

Thanks
Posted By: hunting_guy

Re: College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help - 11/24/15 04:21 PM

Hi Aggie!

I purchased my second pup last July and have been training him myself since that point.

Just make sure before you even get your dog that you research his parents, make sure they have some good hunting certs in front of their names and that their parents hunt, and they have all clearances. You can research titles and bloodlines online fairly easily. Review some tips on picking a puppy before you go as well.

When you first get your pup (should be around 7 weeks old):

Some items I use all the time- (choke collar or short choke leash, standard collar (make sure to have name and contact info on the collar at all times), heeling stick, 4 foot leash, 10 foot leash, 50' check cord, lots of bumpers (try to find smaller cloth ones for the first few months), whistle, and one or two 2'X2' slightly raised platforms for place command) Most of this stuff you can make yourself if you are on a budget. An e-collar is a very helpful tool if you can afford one, they are expensive but can REALLY help with most of the training you will do.

Some good literature and videos for training- Water Dog (although a little outdated, has a ton of knowledge in there that is really good for obedience training and explains the process in an easy to understand format). I followed a lot of Freddie King's stuff on YouTube, has complete training process broken down by steps, Chris Akin also has some good stuff on there as well as the DU site. He also has some excellent videos for around $20 bucks a piece.

1. Focus on socialization (after a few days of settling in at your house)- take the dog everywhere you can within reason and introduce him to people, distraction, different environments, noises, etc...

2. Really pay attention to obedience for the first couple of months when you start training (make sure the dog understands what you are asking and make sure the dog does what she's asked once she understands the command- every time) This is the building block of everything you will use to teach your dog to handle later on. The whole thing is a process- so you will need the obedience foundation before you can effectively train more advanced steps. Sit, heal, stay, come, and no are the basic commands the dog must understand and obey even with distractions before you can really progress into more advanced training.

I'm just getting in to it and having a blast, there are a ton of really good trainers on here that will help point you in the right direction if you run into an issue on here as well.

Just my 2 cents, I am by no means an expert but I am in the middle of the process right now.

Re: College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help - 11/24/15 04:58 PM

Thanks so much for the advice!
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help - 11/24/15 05:01 PM

Get a mutt for free and find a buddy with a good dog... Way easier! Just kidding, good luck!!
Posted By: Sweese

Re: College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help - 11/24/15 10:51 PM

If you have some time (I did during college), you may want to connect with a pro nearby. Most pros need help throwing birds, airing dogs, helping around the kennels, etc.. It would be a good way to learn about the process and get your puppy on some good training grounds, around birds, guns, etc..
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help - 11/24/15 11:28 PM

There's got to be some boys at A&M that have been training dogs their whole life. Make friends with them and get them to help you out. Also remember you can buy all of the shots, other than rabies, at the feed store and give them to her yourself at a fraction of the vet cost. Also pick up some Ivermectin before it warms up and give it to her for heart worms every month. That should save you a few bucks.

You'll also be surprised at all the tricks you can teach a very young pup with treats. These tricks will turn into commands as the pup gets older.

Go check out a few books on retriever training at the library and read them.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help - 11/25/15 12:22 AM

You are over thinking it. A lot of it will come naturally. Relax and enjoy the pup.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help - 11/25/15 03:22 AM

My $.02-

You might feel busy in college, but know that once you get out it gets 10X worse for most people. I worked my last few years of college and it's still nothing like the "real world" after graduating. So enjoy have plenty of time to put into training, and have fun!

Re: College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help - 11/25/15 09:42 PM

Preciate the advice everyone.
Posted By: No Choke

Re: College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help - 11/28/15 04:43 PM

Contact the Millers at Miller Creek. They have a new trainer that might need some help. You should be able to work a deal to assist with your needs. Good folks.
Website-http://millercreekkennels.com/?page_id=2

Wish that I could be down there to help you out more. Also, the local DU chapter will assist. They are one of the largest memberships in the state and could steer you towards several contacts.
Posted By: mbole

Re: College Kid/First Time Dog Trainer Seeking any advice to help - 12/01/15 01:04 AM

Fellow Ag here (class of '11), I got my first pup a year ago, and was similar to you. I read a lot of books and watched a lot of videos. I even made a flow chart (I'm an engineer) for my training to hit certain milestones at certain ages. Once I got my pup, that flow chart went out the window. A lot of it will come naturally. You'll mess up, but it won't be the end of the world. They're pretty resilient and very smart.
Listen to what Bill said:
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
You are over thinking it. A lot of it will come naturally. Relax and enjoy the pup.

I do have a great puppy video for you though. From Bill Hillmann, "The Art and Science of Raising a Puppy." Most of it will be common sense, but it may be helpful for your first pup. If you'd like to borrow it, send me a PM.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum