Texas Hunting Forum

Dog does not like vest

Posted By: river bottom

Dog does not like vest - 11/19/15 01:54 AM

I bought my lab a vest to wear and now when she has it on she doesn't want to retrieve, I have to make her go get it and she doesn't want to get in the water with it on. I was wanting to know if this was normal behavior for a dog that never has wore one,, please help
Posted By: passthru

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/19/15 02:12 AM

My old yellow was not happy with it. However when it got colder she got used to it. The second season was easier.

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/19/15 02:22 AM

Ok thanks, I just left it on her and before I go to bed iam going to take it off of her
Posted By: passthru

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/19/15 02:29 AM

What's bad is I gave mine away last year thinking I'd never get another dog. Now I need to get a new one.

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/19/15 02:45 AM

I hope mine will get use to it, this will be her first hunt on saturday
Posted By: Sweese

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/19/15 03:07 AM

Did you check it good for proper fit and trim as needed? Make sure she can move all her legs freely. Apart from that, you just need to have her get use to it by running around the backyard, rolling on her back, doing some retrieves and of course swimming.

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/19/15 12:53 PM

I trimmed the bottom of the vest on her chest where it was rubbing her legs, I may need to trim some at the the top oh her shoulder, I bought a large and xlarge, the XL was to loose I believe so I went with the large it fits a little snugger. When I was reading about vest they said u want them a little snug but not tight.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/19/15 02:01 PM

She'll end up loving it like everything else to do with hunting.
And yes, a good fit is important.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/19/15 02:43 PM

Once the birds start falling she'll forget all about it. From that point, it won't be long before she will associate the vest with hunting birds and she'll get all amped up when you pull it out. Mine have always done that with e-collars, boots, and vests. It's just like pulling your tennis shoes out to go for a walk and the dogs go bat crazy... don't worry, she'll figure it out.
Posted By: hunting_guy

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/19/15 06:11 PM

^^^this^^^ my dog sees vest, guns, decoys, collar, or camo and she gets all fired up. Once she makes that association you won't have any issues.

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/20/15 05:03 AM

Thanks for the replies!! I took her out today and put the vest on her and used frozen ducks and she worked liked a champ,she loves real ducks,, I went ahead and trimmed her vest a little more. We are back on track now, thanks again
Posted By: pervis

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/23/15 03:00 AM

Yeah keep it on her, my dog bucked like a mule w it on I'd say come and she'd jump straight up, so stupid,lol. Needless to say made her wear it for a day straight, no problems now
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/24/15 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: pervis
Yeah keep it on her, my dog bucked like a mule w it on I'd say come and she'd jump straight up, so stupid,lol. Needless to say made her wear it for a day straight, no problems now

Haha. I love this. My dog did the same and I can guarantee I said the same thing... "so stupid."
Posted By: Central texas

Re: Dog does not like vest - 11/24/15 10:46 PM

Used a vest on my lab & golden , never had a problem with it on. Just the golden wiggles around a lot when I am putting it on him
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum