Texas Hunting Forum

Lost E-collar Handheld

Posted By: BigHenFx4

Lost E-collar Handheld - 11/17/15 07:43 PM

I lost my Garmin Alpha handheld in the field and was not able to find it in the bullrushes. I have looked on ebay and various websites and reached out to gds and garmin to see if they had any used devices. Before I go ahead and buy one does anyone have any other ideas on where to get one at a decent price? Thanks,
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Lost E-collar Handheld - 11/18/15 10:05 PM

Ouch.
I have never used the Buddy Tracking on mine, but it might be something to look at if you have used it, yours was recently lost, is still on, and you have a friend with and Alpha unit.

After you find it or get a replacement, you might consider a holster and or lanyard setup that attaches it to you in a way it can't easily be lost. I use a custom leather holster from Wingworks with mine. The indian head snaps and bird dog stamp were my addition to it, but the rest is as I ordered it. I use a leather belt loop with D ring off my belt or clip it on a D ring on the shoulder strap of a vest, a pack, or a hydration pack.
http://wingworks.biz/wingworks-leather-holsters-for-garmin-astros-and-alpha/

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Lost E-collar Handheld - 11/18/15 10:29 PM

Mine is on a lanyard which is always around my neck. I generally keep it in my shirt pocket but occasionally let it dangle.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Lost E-collar Handheld - 11/18/15 10:49 PM

If you buy new, I see there is a $50 rebate on the bundle. With only $150 difference between the handheld only vs handheld/collar bundle, you might consider buying the bundle, then for only the $150 you would have a spare collar, or to have a second charged collar on trips ready to go. Or you could sell the extra collar and accessories on ebay for more and reduce the overall $ loss a little.
http://www.lcsupply.com/Garmin-Alpha-100-System/products/265/
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Lost E-collar Handheld - 11/19/15 12:02 PM

I have the sportdog brand and I have had mine come unclipped from the lanyard several times. I bought the orange for that reason. Now I have it tied to the lanyard along with the clip.

Is sucks when you have to stop your hunt to look for your handheld.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Lost E-collar Handheld - 11/19/15 01:59 PM

I lost an E collar remote once. I keep it clipped to my whistle lanyard now. Mine was only $160, I bet that Alpha is a bit more. Sorry to hear it.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Lost E-collar Handheld - 11/19/15 07:05 PM

I have lost ecollar xmitters, starter pistols, and a garmin astro handheld in the past. Sometimes they were found, most weren't recovered. Now days, everthing is attached. Hunting partners laugh at me and I sometimes get tangled in my lanyards, but they are cheap insurance.
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: Lost E-collar Handheld - 11/19/15 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Pointer
I have lost ecollar xmitters, starter pistols, and a garmin astro handheld in the past. Sometimes they were found, most weren't recovered. Now days, everthing is attached. Hunting partners laugh at me and I sometimes get tangled in my lanyards, but they are cheap insurance.

Ditto. Now if I could just kill the bumper fairy that steals all of my bumpers I'd be in good shape.
Posted By: BigHenFx4

Re: Lost E-collar Handheld - 11/23/15 05:18 AM

Yea it's not fun, I think the little metal clasp on the bottom of the unit got ripped off where it was attached to my teather. Definitely going to do a little more reinforcement from here on.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Lost E-collar Handheld - 11/24/15 06:53 PM

I bought a couple of Tritronics on Craig's.
You might have to search outside your area.

Bought one from a lady in Arizona.
Sent her a check, she sent the controller, like new.

Also check Ebay.

Posted By: SolomonRiverOutfitters

Re: Lost E-collar Handheld - 12/03/15 06:35 PM

If your in the market for a new one check out quick track. www.quick-track.com

App based and can track dogs from phone or tablet. Pretty cool concept.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Lost E-collar Handheld - 12/03/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Ouch.
I have never used the Buddy Tracking on mine, but it might be something to look at if you have used it, yours was recently lost, is still on, and you have a friend with and Alpha unit.

After you find it or get a replacement, you might consider a holster and or lanyard setup that attaches it to you in a way it can't easily be lost. I use a custom leather holster from Wingworks with mine. The indian head snaps and bird dog stamp were my addition to it, but the rest is as I ordered it. I use a leather belt loop with D ring off my belt or clip it on a D ring on the shoulder strap of a vest, a pack, or a hydration pack.
http://wingworks.biz/wingworks-leather-holsters-for-garmin-astros-and-alpha/

I'm getting an Alpha next week. How did you get the leather stamping on it? That looks cool.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum