Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for a new pup.....again

Posted By: BradyBuck

Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/07/15 06:38 PM

Over the past year or two I've been thinking about getting a new puppy. For different reasons I passed on several nice litters. I am finally in a position to get a new pup and ready to put down a deposit.

The litter I was very excited about didn't take. Sonogram showed no puppies.

So I am back in the market for a good female chocolate. If anyone has info on a good litter I'd appreciate it.

I wouldn't care about color but it's my wife's stipulation.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/07/15 09:57 PM

Plenty of litters out there.
Posted By: tjhook

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/08/15 01:20 AM

I might hav one up. Shes not the build i want. 4 months old. Awsome line. 1500$ is what i paid. I'll add the line here in a second.

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/08/15 01:21 AM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._AK#Post5783235
Posted By: Troubador

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/08/15 03:53 AM

damn son, you can buy field trial bred dogs for $1500. that being said brady buck, if tjhook already has this one retrieving and wild about retrieving that will take some of the guess work out of it when picking a 7-8 week old pup.
check out retrievertrainingforum.net
and entryexpress.net . lots of puppies.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/08/15 05:27 AM

Get rid of the wife. wink

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/08/15 06:39 AM

Yep sheis retrieveing now... she even got some dove with in 20 yards on the last day... she is a madhouse after the bumper and today she was snaggin ducks in the back yard and wouldn't let go. Shes gonna be a awsome dog. But 1500 is what i paid.
Posted By: Sweese

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/08/15 12:59 PM

You can also look over www.retrievertraining.net

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/08/15 04:52 PM

it all in what is great to us. ive had 4 mo old labs doing 200 yard retrieves and starting doubles. well, his trainer did. one of worst things you can do is just throw bumpers or ducks in the back yard. 1st it will gt them in a bad habbit of only running 20 yards then breaking down and hunting for the bird and 2ndly you need to have someone throwing thebumpers or ducks. even young kids can toss a bumper 10 yards and it us super important that you get your dog focuesing out on a gunner and not you when it comes time to retrieve.

if you get on rtf or entry express or even alot of the facebook pages you can find pups from FC AFC sires and MH QAAmoms for 1k-1500.

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/08/15 07:19 PM

Thanks, as far as training I'll be following Hillmann and Lardy pretty close. Hillmann's puppy and then blending Hillmann and Lardy later.

I've got a few leads on good litters. Just trying to make a decision it's a lot of pressure.

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/08/15 09:20 PM

She does he own dove retrieves, just introduced her to a duck the yesterday. Kinda tossed a teal on the ground ahe snagged it up and ran around. She has a pretty champion bloodline. Encase you didn't clink the link i had earlier on her. 1500 is a reasonable price.

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/08/15 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: tjhook
I might hav one up. Shes not the build i want. 4 months old. Awsome line. 1500$ is what i paid. I'll add the line here in a second.

What about her build do you not like?

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/09/15 05:47 AM

I like the big and stocky, overly blocky head. Well my wife does more then Me. Thats our male. She wanted her a good lab so i found a awsome line for me to train amd her to use. But shes looking traditional. Long snout, long and slender.
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/09/15 01:13 PM

I'll give you $500 for that ugly bitch.

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/09/15 10:17 PM

you arent gonna find a big blocky head big tradiotional lab if you buy dogs heavy in field trial and most hunt test lines because most hunt test lines come from field trials.

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/10/15 12:33 AM

Yea, my male is nice big and blocky and his Aunt is ammo. So i must have got lucky? And the fump line is big and blocky and full of field champs.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/10/15 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: maximumintensityretriever
I'll give you $500 for that ugly bitch.

lol

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/11/15 04:28 PM

As long as everything goes as planned I'll be purchasing a pup from Jeff Chestnut and Washita Retrievers.

She should be ready to come home in January I'm very excited and can't wait to get started.
Posted By: Sweese

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/12/15 01:40 PM

Jeff has some very nice dogs. Here are couple of pictures I took of his dog during the Lone Star HRC test last spring.

Re: Looking for a new pup.....again - 11/12/15 05:29 PM

Very nice Sweese!

I've had at least three other breeders/trainers say good things about Jeff and his dogs. He seemed like a great guy on the phone. I think everything might have worked out for the best.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum