Texas Hunting Forum

Roading Dogs

Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Roading Dogs - 11/05/15 09:40 PM

For those who rode their pups? At what age is an appropriate starting point, and at what distance would you stop in this weather? Wont be anything super intense but would like to get the GSP out on the bike and let him stretch his legs.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Roading Dogs - 11/06/15 04:15 AM

Off pavement or on? Not a fan of lot's of running on payment for dogs. And most dogs don't fully develop their growth plates and bone until around two years of age.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Roading Dogs - 11/06/15 05:27 AM

I always roaded in a a pasture with a mowed trail and did so from about 8 months on. Used a 4 wheeler or a horse. 4 Wheeler allowed me to road 4 at a time. Horse was just one.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Roading Dogs - 11/06/15 12:49 PM

It sounds simple--but it's not, be very careful with your dog. Start very slow, no distance, watch surface, wrong method and you'll knock those pads off in a New York minute!
Posted By: blanked

Re: Roading Dogs - 11/06/15 04:14 PM

I use a walky dog on my bike for 2'dogs. My youngest is 1 year and just started her. Your biggest problem wont be the dog its you. Dont lose control of the bike if the dog jumps off to the side
Posted By: Troubador

Re: Roading Dogs - 11/06/15 08:11 PM

def on grass. a soccer field or football field would be great for a mo or so then graduate up to a more wild growth field. a pasture and wild field can have more firm grasses and stickers than can cut into pads.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Roading Dogs - 11/07/15 03:50 PM

I start roading my pups about 4 months of age and have a mile and a half straight away where I test their speed and endurance. I have a female bluetick that as a 4 month old could run 23 mph for the 1.5 mile stretch, proving that she is an excellent athlete. As a four year old, she is my best hound.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Roading Dogs - 11/07/15 03:51 PM

I start roading my pups about 4 months of age and have a mile and a half straight away where I test their speed and endurance. I have a female bluetick that as a 4 month old could run 23 mph for the 1.5 mile stretch, proving that she is an excellent athlete. As a four year old, she is my best hound.
Since I road hunt my hounds, roading is an important training regiment.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Roading Dogs - 11/07/15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
I always roaded in a a pasture with a mowed trail and did so from about 8 months on. Used a 4 wheeler or a horse. 4 Wheeler allowed me to road 4 at a time. Horse was just one.
I have also roaded on a gravel road. My dogs live on screenings and have never slipped a pad on a dog yet.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Roading Dogs - 11/10/15 12:58 AM

I have also roaded on a gravel road. My dogs live on screenings and have never slipped a pad on a dog yet.
hats how I did it many yrs ago
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum