Texas Hunting Forum

Training with dead ducks?

Posted By: BradyBuck

Training with dead ducks? - 10/26/15 08:10 PM

Was wanting to go do some training with frozen ducks but then thought...... "I'm going to be out there with real ducks and a gun out of season."

So I know people use real ducks but what is the law about this?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Training with dead ducks? - 10/26/15 08:28 PM

I've used frozen quail. I let them thaw a little. They worked fine for me.

Posted By: triggerbowtx

Re: Training with dead ducks? - 10/26/15 08:49 PM

I don't think the frozen part was his concern. I think he was concerned about someone thinking that he was hunting out of season. I think you would be fine, assuming you're on private land and not taking a shotgun to the neighborhood park. I frozen duck (even thawed) is very evident that it didn't die that day. I wouldn't think a game warden would give you trouble. It would be very clear that you weren't hunting. At least to me it would.
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: Training with dead ducks? - 10/26/15 10:27 PM

If they were wild you could be written up for "wanton waste". We use pen raised birds which have a dew claw cut off. Some people will breast the wild ones then tape them back up.

Robby
Posted By: passthru

Re: Training with dead ducks? - 10/26/15 10:59 PM

I've never used whole ducks. Just wings zip tied to bumpers. Dogs never had an issue making the transition. Except that for a while big ducks were a large load to retrieve but as the dog grew it worked out.
Posted By: kbobbjr

Re: Training with dead ducks? - 10/27/15 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61
If they were wild you could be written up for "wanton waste". We use pen raised birds which have a dew claw cut off. Some people will breast the wild ones then tape them back up.

Robby

Absolutely correct. I only use pigeons for puppies and pen raised ducks for big dogs.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Training with dead ducks? - 10/27/15 01:38 AM

Thanks, i wasn't worried about it being frozen but just the legality of using wild ducks to train with. As stated above I guess I could be written up for "wanton waste".
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Training with dead ducks? - 10/28/15 12:55 AM

I've used frozen birds before. I just bring the tag with me. You could also make a fake gun to use. I've used a broom stick.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum