Texas Hunting Forum

pointer mix rescue?

Posted By: foodieguy

pointer mix rescue? - 09/05/15 04:06 AM

Hi all-

We're looking to get a dog for my 14yr old son and I'd like to try and find one I can train as a retriever if possible. Mainly for dove as I don't get to hunt ducks enough. It would just be a fun side project and it wouldn't kill me if it never worked out.

We have our eye on a male pointer mix that's almost 2 years old, is that too late to get started?

Here is the link to the dog. http://www.austinpetsalive.org/adopt/available-dog-details/?ID=22187053#

Would like honest feedback on the chance that it might work, but given that I'm open to failing at the retrieving bit and want a great active dog for the boy.
Posted By: whiteowl

Re: pointer mix rescue? - 09/05/15 01:25 PM

I have one I rescued last year that is probably about a year and a half old now. By the picks she looked full lab but when I saw her I could tell she was mixed. No way I could leave those sweet brown eyes at the pound. I now believe she is most likely pointer/lab. She is solid black but built like a pointer and those sweet pointer eyes. She does not like to retrieve for squat but raises cane when I work my lab. I thought about force fetching her but really didn't get her just for retrieving so have not. She is a sweetheart and I am fine with her just as a yard dog. She minds well and loves to run with my lab so I am good with it. Good luck.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: pointer mix rescue? - 09/05/15 04:51 PM

A dog is a long term investment. It costs just as much to feed a useless one as it does to feed a champion. If you really do want a dog that retrieves buy A retriever out of hunting stock and give yourself the best chance possible at having a dog you can use. I don't mind trying out a dog knowing I'll get rid of it if he doesn't work out. That's not easy to do once the wife and kids are attached to him. I have had pure bred pointers that had no natural desire to retrieve and had to be force broke. Buying a dog out of good stock may save you some regrets years down the road when your still feeding that potlicker.
Posted By: Jay Brown

Re: pointer mix rescue? - 09/08/15 02:55 PM

Please get a good dog to begin with. If you want a retriever get a registered dog. You will have a better chance than a rescue dog for what you want.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: pointer mix rescue? - 09/08/15 03:26 PM

The dog looks like a Pit to me.
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: pointer mix rescue? - 09/09/15 02:20 AM

Thanks everyone, OP here. We ended up getting a different dog. That dog had some issues and would have been hard to keep even as a yard dog.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum