Texas Hunting Forum

Bump after the snake vaccine?

Posted By: _Lee

Bump after the snake vaccine? - 08/29/15 12:20 AM

I took my dog for her booster vaccine two weeks ago and my wife just noticed a lump on the area she believes the vet gave the shot. I don't think it's possible it was there this whole time and I missed it. Is there a chance this lump is related to the shot?

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 08/29/15 12:26 AM

Posted By: kindall

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 08/29/15 12:24 PM

Yes the snake shot can sometimes cause a soft lump.
It doesn't seem to cause the dog any pain, and it will go away on its on.
You could give your dog some Benadryl, and it might help it go down a little quicker. Unless it causes a big nasty abscess, there's no need for a vet visit.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 08/29/15 01:38 PM

My GSP gets a bump after the shot but it's gone a day or two after the shot, but two weeks after, you might want to give the vet a call. Just to ask.

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 08/29/15 11:50 PM

I called first thing this morning and they said it's ok, It's a soft bump and doesn't seem to bother her. I will try the Benedryl to see if that gets it to go down quicker.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 08/31/15 11:33 AM

My dogs get the bump every year. It usually shows up a week or more after the shot. It will stay on my dogs for about a month. They even have a little hair fall out. Every time they get the shot the vet and I both note where the shot was so that when a lump forms we can tell if it is from the vaccine.

Mine got the shot this past Friday.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 08/31/15 04:00 PM

It's the same kind of thing as the shot medical people get for TB exposure...its called a delayed immune reaction and is very normal as long as it isn't hot and firm. It's based on the type of immunity created by the snake vaccine versus other types of vaccines.
Posted By: jeffro3967

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 09/01/15 02:59 PM

My vet started giving half of the vaccine in the front shoulder and half in the rear and haven't had any dogs get the bump.

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 09/02/15 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: jeffro3967
My vet started giving half of the vaccine in the front shoulder and half in the rear and haven't had any dogs get the bump.

Thanks for the info guys, gives me a piece of mind.

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/28/16 04:10 PM

6 months later....she got the shot a week ago and now there's a small lump and its oozing. Anyone ever see. This ?
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/28/16 07:15 PM

One of my breeder's dogs got a cancerous sarcoma at the injection site. She told me Red Rock offered to pay vet bills if she would sign a waiver not not disclose it. She refused. Tumors related to other vaccines are not unusual. I did the vaccine with my dog weighing the risk to benefit. The bump is normal and both my dogs had it for a long time, but If it has been 6 months and it's oozing that is not normal. I would take that dog to a vet to find out what is going on with it to rule out an infection or whatever. If it has only been a week, I would not worry about it.

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/28/16 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
One of my breeder's dogs got a cancerous sarcoma at the injection site. She told me Red Rock offered to pay vet bills if she would sign a waiver not not disclose it. She refused. Tumors related to other vaccines are not unusual. I did the vaccine with my dog weighing the risk to benefit. The bump is normal and both my dogs had it for a long time, but If it has been 6 months and it's oozing that is not normal. I would take that dog to a vet to find out what is going on with it to rule out an infection or whatever. If it has only been a week, I would not worry about it.

Oh it's only been a week. I just figured I'd comment again on the last post, this is her next shot 6 months later. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow just for a peice of mind.

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/29/16 01:05 AM

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/29/16 01:59 AM

That looks infected. Does it have a bad odor coming from it?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/29/16 03:55 AM

Wow. And I was gonna call to get my dog the vaccine but now I don't know.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/29/16 04:53 AM

Think I'd run her back to the vet in the morning. Looks like she is going to need some antibiotics to help clear it up.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/29/16 06:49 PM

I would say definitely a vet trip asap!
Posted By: RayB

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/29/16 06:52 PM

My GSP always gets a bump but nothing like that. That looks to be an open sore. I agree with the rest. Vet visit
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/29/16 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
I would say definitely a vet trip asap!
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/29/16 10:20 PM

Looks more of a hole than a bump to me.

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 02/29/16 11:53 PM

Sniper John - Honestly my allergies hit me so hard today I can't smell anything!

Everyone else, I called the Vet first thing this morning and they wanted to see her. They shaved around the spot and gave me 10 days worth of antibiotics to give her. They said it isn't something I should be too concerned with, it's something they have seen before. This is her 3rd rattlesnake shot I'm going to go ahead and give her another one in 6 months and see how she reacts to it.

Baylor Bears - the picture being so close up its hard to see the lump but it is there, and yes that is a hole. I actually think it's gone down because it's open and draining.
Posted By: Sherpa Dog

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 03/01/16 12:37 AM

That's a new one for me.. The hole almost looks like the result of a dirty needle
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Bump after the snake vaccine? - 03/01/16 01:06 AM

In my experience, about 10% of the injection lumps will fill with fluid, come to a head, and erupt through the skin. They are usually sterile, but the open sore can allow bacteria to enter. A course of antibiotics should fix it up.

FWIW, the shot caused an immune reaction that should protect the dog nicely from any snakebites. I would probably give future injections by dividing the 1cc shot and giving 1/2" in two different sites. The lump(s) may still arise, however.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum