Texas Hunting Forum

Canine Dementia

Posted By: RayB

Canine Dementia - 08/04/15 01:20 PM

My GSP will lay in one spot and lick a place till it's soaked, cushion his dog bed, my bed. My daughter has a dog that does the same thing, she looked it up and the response was canine dementia. If this is the problem what can I do to slow it down? He's only 8. Have any of you had this problem?
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Canine Dementia - 08/04/15 01:42 PM

IDK about that. I've got a 2 yr old GSP and same age Blue Heeler that do that too. Plus a 13 yr old Lab that does.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Canine Dementia - 08/04/15 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
IDK about that. I've got a 2 yr old GSP and same age Blue Heeler that do that too. Plus a 13 yr old Lab that does.

So you think someone's selling snake oil?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Canine Dementia - 08/04/15 02:06 PM

I've got a pup that does that. I just tell him no and he stops.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Canine Dementia - 08/04/15 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
Originally Posted By: poisonivie

So you think someone's selling snake oil?

Not calling BS. Its just an opinion, like mine. I just don't see pups having dementia.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Canine Dementia - 08/04/15 02:43 PM

It makes me wonder, I have an almost 15 year old that has started licking everything. His pillow, the carpet, himself, constantly.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Canine Dementia - 08/04/15 03:15 PM

The licking is only one sign, and the dog would need to be showing other signs for me to think its canine dementia.
I don't know if it really helps, but Purina has a food on the market for older dogs. Its called Bright Mind and could be worth try.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Canine Dementia - 08/05/15 12:05 AM

My 3 yr. old lab does that all the time and our 13 yr. old Dachshund.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum