Texas Hunting Forum

Ear cleaning time

Posted By: bill oxner

Ear cleaning time - 07/29/15 04:55 PM

It's been too long for my two. Muffin started rubbing her ear on my hand last night. I got out the alcohol and Q tips. It seemed to perk her up a little. Cracker gets hers done this afternoon. Do you do your dogs ears on a regular basis?
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/29/15 05:03 PM

Sort of. Mostly I let pets Mart do it.

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/29/15 08:36 PM

Cracker is a little more squeamish than Muffin. I set the alcohol on the patio table to let the alcohol get up to ambient temperature. I did her ears while she was standing. She leaned into me and moaned. I need to do it more often.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/29/15 09:32 PM

Just did Jessie's yesterday 6 months old, I think its just good practice for floppy eared dogs. I think it feels good to them, like you say they lean into it and moan like it feels really good.

I use the stuff from Petco, squirt it in and rub it in then wipe with cotton ball far as I can without hurting her. They always come out kinda dirty.

Now if they stink, its time for the Vet to have a look for mites or infection. I know I'm not telling Bill anything new

She's going in for her Spay surgery and chip implant tomorrow ....fun frown
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/29/15 11:21 PM

Yes my gal goes in the lake pretty much everyday so I also put drop of some stuff I got from the vet
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/29/15 11:28 PM

I like peroxide as it tends to loosen gunk better. It also doesn't tend to dry the ear out like alcohol does.

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/30/15 01:27 AM

Muffin also got a bath tonight. She really likes to cut up after a bath.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/30/15 02:36 AM

Mine had the last of her puppy shots and the chip implant Sunday. Never would have known the way she pestered my beagle all afternoon. They cleaned her ears while there. She was looking at me crazy while they did it.
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/30/15 06:35 AM

1/3 Peroxide
1/3 Apple Cider Vinegar
1/3 Witch Hazel (don't use alcohol)

Works like charm on my GSP's.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/30/15 09:58 AM

My old vet recommended 1/3 peroxide, 1/3 vinegar and 1/3 alchohol. I've been using that mix for about 8 years now. Works great.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/30/15 11:59 AM

What are you using to get the solution in the dog's ear?

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/30/15 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
What are you using to get the solution in the dog's ear?

I use the bottle cap and just pour it in there one ear at a time. I squeeze the ears a few times then swab it out.
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/30/15 12:29 PM

Sports water bottle with pop up lid. I cup the ear with my hand, squirt some in, rub gently, let them shake, pat dry with paper towels.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/30/15 01:18 PM

My vet gave me a couple of bottles like these. Works great.

http://www.uline.com/BL_8184/Boston-Round-Squeezable-Bottles
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/30/15 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Funny how dogs seem to really cut up after a good bath. My black lab also really gets going in the fall when we get that first cool morning. He comes in from his morning pee ready to wrestle until the house implodes. Something about that cool crisp air that really fires them up.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/30/15 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: duckbill
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Funny how dogs seem to really cut up after a good bath. My black lab also really gets going in the fall when we get that first cool morning. He comes in from his morning pee ready to wrestle until the house implodes. Something about that cool crisp air that really fires them up.

Thank God I'm not alone...
Posted By: Jase

Re: Ear cleaning time - 07/31/15 02:29 PM

We have to do our labs' ears at least once a week. if not, they'll get yeast infections in a hurry (working on clearing them up now).

My yellow lab acts like we are killing her when it's bath time but once it's over she tears around the house like her tail is on fire. hysterical to watch.

Our red lab will jump in the tub no problem and loves his bath time.
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Ear cleaning time - 08/03/15 08:56 PM

Used to have to clean my labs weekly or she would get a nasty infection. Interested to see how often my GSP needs it done
Posted By: alangawry

Re: Ear cleaning time - 08/06/15 09:15 PM

Yes,clean my labs ears once a month with the ear solution my vet gave me. He gets an ear infection about once or twice a year, so I do it to try help lessen the occurrence.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum