Texas Hunting Forum

Blood Tracking Dogs

Posted By: BFord

Blood Tracking Dogs - 06/28/15 05:42 PM

So I am looking at getting a blood tracking dog. Figured some of you pros out there could give me some info on breeds and everything. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Blood Tracking Dogs - 06/28/15 07:12 PM

Black Mouth Cur, Plott Hound, or Blue Lacy, Jagd Terrier, Winny Dog.. I have never used the last three I named but the BMC, plot or walker have found wounded deer for me.
Posted By: BFord

Re: Blood Tracking Dogs - 06/29/15 04:23 PM

Really leaning on the Blue Lacy, Raised and trained short hairs, but training a dog on blood tracking is going to be a new adventure. So any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Blood Tracking Dogs - 06/29/15 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: BFord
Really leaning on the Blue Lacy, Raised and trained short hairs, but training a dog on blood tracking is going to be a new adventure. So any help would be appreciated.

This is free advice. I have trained every breed out there I would imagine. I have noticed above and beyond all others, the Lacy's ability to think. I do the snake avoidance. With Lacy's it is always a one and done sessions. I have re-tested Harley, Kenny Wall's Lacy for years. As soon as Harley gets a whiff of snake, she gone. Tail down and headed for the hills. They are small and very family oriented. Completely owner loyal. They will pile up on top of something way too big for their little bodies. I am to say the least impressed with the breed.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Blood Tracking Dogs - 06/29/15 08:55 PM

The best blood trailing dogs that I have ever seen where about half hound. Little Roy Hindes has had great blood trailing dogs for years and these dogs are of no particular breeding, cur and a little hound. Ironically, the very best blood trailing dog I ever saw was almost pure running walker. In my opinion, many breeds will work including my old Flash, the wiener dog but when the trail is really cold and there is very little blood, there remains no substitute for a hound's nose.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Blood Tracking Dogs - 07/02/15 01:43 AM

So if this is going to be the dog's only job, I would stick with an Red or Bluetick. My second choice is a Bloodhound as long as your trailing on a leade. All three have extreme cold noses. That is what they are bred for. Now if the hound is also going to be used on live game like Coons, Cats and Hogs the above advice is spot on.
Posted By: catchrcall

Re: Blood Tracking Dogs - 07/12/15 09:20 PM

I have a mutt dog, looks like maybe collie and lab, that has found a lot of deer and hogs for hunters over the years, but he's retired now and I haven't started another one. I guess if I was looking for a dog to start I'd get with one of the Lacy guys with a line of dogs that has been doing it for a while and see what they have. The only thing I don't like about Lacy's is they like to fight. Seems like every time I get around a Lacy there's a dog fight going on and that annoys the heck out of me so I've never bothered with one. On the other hand I've seen a lot of them that were great with people and kids.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum