Texas Hunting Forum

Bedding

Posted By: bill oxner

Bedding - 06/02/15 10:50 PM

I finally cleaned min out today. Have you?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Bedding - 06/02/15 11:02 PM

Flower beds or bedroom?
Posted By: RayB

Re: Bedding - 06/04/15 02:03 AM

I cleaned out my dog box months ago, I think I'm going to use throw rugs in it this year. It gets cold in the panhandle but the dogs were toasty warm in MT. with wood chips, but I worry about crap getting in their eyes.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Bedding - 06/04/15 08:29 PM

I've been using wood chips for three years now, more expensive but easier to wash out and smells good. Again, gets expensive with a kennel full like I have. I am wanting to get all my houses changed over to barrels this summer (already have the barrels sitting & waiting) they hold the wood chips better (not as easy for the dogs to dig it out) and takes a lot less to fill them up too than the big dogloo houses. Just gotta get out there and get em built.

To answer your question, I cleaned them out 2 months ago Bill.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Bedding - 06/04/15 09:07 PM

Hay works for me, don't change it that often.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Bedding - 06/04/15 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
I've been using wood chips for three years now, more expensive but easier to wash out and smells good. Again, gets expensive with a kennel full like I have. I am wanting to get all my houses changed over to barrels this summer (already have the barrels sitting & waiting) they hold the wood chips better (not as easy for the dogs to dig it out) and takes a lot less to fill them up too than the big dogloo houses. Just gotta get out there and get em built.

Be sure when you cut that door in the barrel you cut it at least halfway up. They will step over and in. If you cut it too low your shavings will be everywhere. Don't ask how I know this. hammer
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Bedding - 06/05/15 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Be sure when you cut that door in the barrel you cut it at least halfway up. They will step over and in. If you cut it too low your shavings will be everywhere. Don't ask how I know this. hammer

I have one made like this and it holds the cedar chips pretty good.
I might make the bottom cut a little higher on the next ones but not to halfway. Maybe 3 inches higher.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Bedding - 06/05/15 10:56 PM

Pretty fancy right there Kevin. I usually cut the other end and unscrew the plugs for ventilation. up 3 inches higher will be better. Also I just make a square cut about 12X12 inches. Full grown pointers have no problem getting into a hole that size. Be sure to drill holes in the bottom. That lets water drain should any get in there like when they are barking their heads off at night and the water hose treatment happens. bolt peep
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum