Texas Hunting Forum

Have a trainer lined up, but what now?

Posted By: ElMatadorBorracho

Have a trainer lined up, but what now? - 05/26/15 02:38 PM

As i stated in a previous post I have reached out to Buck Henderson to train my new red dog, but I am trying to see if you guys have suggestions on things I can work on in the mean time. Buck basically told me there was not much I could do that he couldn't undo, but I would love to give Cruiser a leg up when he goes into the program.

So far, he can fetch really well and about half the time he'll drop the bumper at my feet. We've also been playing with pheasant wings and he loves to point on those in the back yard. (tho I've read that the wings are basically useless and I should stop using them). He's housebroken and goes to his kennel without a fight, still working on not counter surfing and jumping up on people when he is excited.

Is socialization what my focus needs to be on right now? Should I just get him in front of as many people possible and around other dogs? Should I just not worry about the hunting aspect at all right now?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Have a trainer lined up, but what now? - 05/26/15 08:07 PM

THIS:

Is socialization what my focus needs to be on right now? Should I just get him in front of as many people possible and around other dogs? Should I just not worry about the hunting aspect at all right now?

Also:
Work HARD on SIT STAY. A steady dog is a dog who will get invited on many hunts...and pass many hunt tests.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Have a trainer lined up, but what now? - 05/26/15 08:14 PM

And keep him away from little girls.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Have a trainer lined up, but what now? - 05/26/15 08:28 PM

I could not keep Izzie from jumping, so I taught her to keep her feet down and not put them on me when she jumps. Now she'll jump almost eyeball high, but her front feet are dangling down.
Posted By: ElMatadorBorracho

Re: Have a trainer lined up, but what now? - 05/27/15 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Uh oh, I have 2 little girls why does he need to stay away from them?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Have a trainer lined up, but what now? - 05/27/15 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: ElMatadorBorracho
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Uh oh, I have 2 little girls why does he need to stay away from them?

It was tongue in cheek. That's the best thing that can happen to them.
Posted By: super

Re: Have a trainer lined up, but what now? - 05/27/15 02:03 AM

The recall command is a good one to teach. Here or come. Buck is a good guy.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Have a trainer lined up, but what now? - 05/27/15 12:37 PM

Because you have a young pup, I would put a check cord on him, and take him to run in as many different fields as possible. As long as its not unsafe, let him figure it out on his own, with little input from you.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Have a trainer lined up, but what now? - 05/31/15 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: kindall
Because you have a young pup, I would put a check cord on him, and take him to run in as many different fields as possible. As long as its not unsafe, let him figure it out on his own, with little input from you.

I like this and about to start with Jessie, tomorrow we start to swim !!
Posted By: pervis

Re: Have a trainer lined up, but what now? - 05/31/15 04:00 AM

I'm working on training my own pup, it's fun but man what a pain. I'm taking advantage of the recent flooding for swim lessons. Just find a street where the dog can walk into the non moving water. My pointer runs full speed and jumps in. I make her sit and stay I grab her by her upper neck/Jowl area make her focus straight ahead and throw her duck decoy out. I tell her fetch and boom She's off to the races. I throw it a Lil further and further each time, that way she can run into the water then have to begin to swim.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum