Texas Hunting Forum

Brittanys

Posted By: DoveMaster

Brittanys - 04/05/15 10:02 PM

I have 2 Brittanys, one 3 months old and the other 7 months old... Wow, I never knew how much these puppies are full of nuclear hyperactive energy... I do walk them for a long walk everyday and let them run around the yard, to help release the crazy energy, and will start the field training soon for retrieves, primarily for dove and duck hunting.

Question: I know that this dog breed is one of the best for all around hunting, but just curious if there is another breed of dog, that is a great upland and wetland hunter, that doesn't have the nuclear energy build up that Brittanys have? And also wondering, if these dogs calm down any once they reach 12-18 Months, which i believe is adult hood range...
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Brittanys - 04/05/15 10:38 PM

I'm sure there is, but we have grown very fond of our English Springer Spaniel. We are still working on sitting still in the duck blind but overall he has retrieved everything that has hit the ground/water.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Brittanys - 04/05/15 10:40 PM

Here is some pics of my ESS

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Brittanys - 04/05/15 11:28 PM

You're stuck but you could have chosen a better breed for your needs.
Posted By: DoveMaster

Re: Brittanys - 04/06/15 03:34 AM

Well, my needs are to have a great hunting dog and i know they are, so my needs are met there. Was really wondering if they settle down with energy after puppy phase. I had read about them and knew they had high energy, but i guess my male is full blown energizer rabbit to the power of 10. I walk them both religously every day for long walks, and let them run free in the back yard. They are very good with kids as well.
Posted By: skunktop

Re: Brittanys - 04/06/15 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: DoveMaster
Well, my needs are to have a great hunting dog and i know they are, so my needs are met there. Was really wondering if they settle down with energy after puppy phase. I had read about them and knew they had high energy, but i guess my male is full blown energizer rabbit to the power of 10. I walk them both religously every day for long walks, and let them run free in the back yard. They are very good with kids as well.

I had a Brittany that we got when I was 4, and he died a year ago. He was 16. He had been hit by a car, fought cancer for 5 years, and put our Redbone Coonhound into place when we brought her home. Over the years, he did simmer down to a normal temperament. But I will say this: Until the day your Brittany dies, he will never stop loving you, and he will never stop running.

Even at 16, Freckles would chase cats, squirrels, birds, etc.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Brittanys - 04/06/15 03:18 PM

Did you get one from FT lines? There are tons of breeds that can suite your needs and are calm in the house and still have lots of go in the field.
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: Brittanys - 04/14/15 10:50 PM

They will calm down with age some, mines 11 and still has plenty of energy.
Posted By: 1okiebirdhunter

Re: Brittanys - 04/15/15 12:23 PM

I have 8 Britts from 10 weeks to 12years that I guide with and like skunktop says there are no more loveable dogs, and yes they do simmer down as they age.
Posted By: Dkhntr

Re: Brittanys - 04/15/15 07:43 PM

Sounds like a lab would have suited you best in my opinion but my Brits 9 and still a ball of fire but still the best pup I have ever owned I'll never not own a Britt.
Posted By: redraider90

Re: Brittanys - 04/15/15 10:09 PM

I have a 2 1/2 year old brit, definitely the best dog I've ever owned. He settled down somewhere around when he was 1 1/2. Very calm now, but still has plenty of go when we're in the field.
Posted By: Nitronx898

Re: Brittanys - 04/29/15 05:35 PM

A lot of Brittany owners here. I have been around them most all my life. We have had some that was as calm as can be and some that were balls to the wall. But when it came time to do job they were all business. I now have a 3 yo male that can be a hand full but soon calms down after a quick run in the field. My 11 month old female is totally opposite, she will sit there and look at him as if he was crazy. Again, I love mine and I'm always looking for another
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum