Texas Hunting Forum

White blaze on labs

Posted By: passthru

White blaze on labs - 03/25/15 11:31 PM

A friend was looking at a pup that had a white blaze on it's chest and one white lower leg/paw. That set off an alarm for me and I told him to steer clear. Was I wrong??
Posted By: Dkhntr

Re: White blaze on labs - 03/26/15 01:09 AM

I have one with a white patch on chest. But I think you did right better safe than sorry.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: White blaze on labs - 03/26/15 01:52 AM

A little white is acceptable. I have a female pup out of Bullet and a Low Country Drake female that has a little white on each paw.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: White blaze on labs - 03/26/15 02:45 AM

Not sure why it would matter? Are you looking for a show dog?
Posted By: Buck_N_Hook

Re: White blaze on labs - 03/26/15 05:16 PM

White spots on chest are acceptable and quite normal. White between the toes or under feet is acceptable and normal to. Usually the spot on chest gets smaller or if already small will go away. Same for the paws.

Re: White blaze on labs - 03/27/15 12:02 AM

This one had a hind foot white from the ankle down. And no, not looking for a show dog. But many a registered dog isn't necessarily what the papers say it is. I was concerned there was a little something different mixed in there in the past.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: White blaze on labs - 03/29/15 02:42 AM

Our lab pup has a small blaze on his chest and has been shrinking. Although he doesn't have white socks, he does a small white patch on his left rear toes. Funny thing is our full blood registered Ridgeback had the same markings, small chest blaze and couple of white toes on left rear leg. Go figure. Unless I was showing or breed stock makes no difference, kind of neat and still a smart dog.

Re: White blaze on labs - 03/30/15 02:10 PM

If I'm dropping between one and two grand on a dog I would rather not have any questions about it's pedigree.
Posted By: Buck_N_Hook

Re: White blaze on labs - 03/30/15 05:36 PM

Ankle down is not good, I would be questioning it to. There are plenty of other choices in the 1 - 2K price range.
Posted By: comet

Re: White blaze on labs - 03/31/15 09:21 PM

We just had a litter of pups born this morning they are black and a few have little white chins and a couple have small white patches on chest and on has a couple white toes on the back. This is the first time I have ever bred this male and female.

Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: White blaze on labs - 04/01/15 01:48 AM

Some dogs throw mismarks. There is quite a bit of info out there on it. From what I have heard/seen you could breed the same sire/dam and it not happen a second time. From what I have read it usually occurs on the first breeding and normally doesn't happen again. Under normal circumstances these pups are sold as pets at a discounted rate.

Although it does legitimately happen I still would have a hard time paying full price for something that is questionable.
Posted By: chk

Re: White blaze on labs - 04/01/15 01:53 AM

My black lab was very well bred and had a some white hairs on his chest as a puppy. He grew out of them and became all black very soon. If the breeder is reputable, I wouldn't worry about the white patch as they will most likely go away.
Posted By: chk

Re: White blaze on labs - 04/01/15 01:56 AM

I also agree about the ankle down comment above as I would highly question those white marks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum