Texas Hunting Forum

Can She Come Back?????

Posted By: Catch Dog

Can She Come Back????? - 03/23/15 01:20 AM

I was able to pick up the female pointer from scale busters old friend and after a trip to the vet for Vacs, she is still skidish and does not come to me but The good thing is you can tell she if more comfortable and I let the dogs run with her and she showed no aggressive behavior. The bad thing is my kids were running around playing in the backyard with a cap gun and the first pop sent her running crapping all over herself, the second pop sent her to trying to dig under the fence to get away. I hollered at the boys to stop so she could calm down. She was freaked out. Does anyone have any thoughts to fix this or being 8 yrs old she is to far gone to come out of it???? Any thoughts are welcomed....
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Can She Come Back????? - 03/23/15 01:30 AM

It could be different out hunting. I've seen thunder dogs that never paid any attention to gunfire in the field.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Can She Come Back????? - 03/23/15 03:52 AM

I agree with Bill, until you have her on a bird you won't know what you have.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Can She Come Back????? - 03/23/15 04:19 AM

Try and get her to bond with you. Its got to be hard on her being in a new place, after spending the first 8 years of her life at one home.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Can She Come Back????? - 03/23/15 05:09 PM

Agree with above but I would have her on several birds before I fired another shot around her. And the next shot would be a cap gun from a distance while she is watching a flushing bird. Then move closer a little bit at a time. I wouldn't take her to field and shoot over here on the first flushing bird.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Can She Come Back????? - 03/23/15 10:01 PM

When I picked her up I've never seen a bird dog as skittish as she was. She was scared of me and I couldn't get ahold of her. I had to get the owner out there and get out of the pen before she would come to him. He called her in and told her to whoa and she stood there until he put the lead on her. Once I got her out of the pen she loaded up in the truck and got in the kennel. I thought she must have lost her mind from being in her pen too long but she was fine once the old man got out there. I think she'll be ok once she gets used to you and her new surroundings. I'd take it slow with her and hopefully she'll come around.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum