Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for a trainer for my Drahthaar

Posted By: Dylan Parker

Looking for a trainer for my Drahthaar - 03/09/15 11:51 PM

As the title says I am looking for a trainer for my pup he just turned 5 months and he needs to either start paying rent or learn how to earn his keep. This is my first DD and between school, work and the fact that i have never trained a pointer before I am thinking that its best to have a pro do it this time. I am from Houston but go to school at A&M in College Station so if there is any trainers worth a damn around here then perfect but I have no problem traveling either. before any of y'all say anything I have already worked the google machine and have found some trainers but now I want to know personal opinions that y'all may have.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Looking for a trainer for my Drahthaar - 03/09/15 11:59 PM

Welcome to the forum. Go to the NSTRA trial at Giddings the last weekend in March and look up Rob Martin.
Posted By: Lott

Re: Looking for a trainer for my Drahthaar - 03/10/15 04:01 PM

Dylan,

We just finished our VJP with our first DD Pup. I have a really good trainer that has taken us through the process. We are about to start phase two. Feel free to give me a call if you would like information. Steven 214-693-3250
Posted By: TDH09

Re: Looking for a trainer for my Drahthaar - 03/10/15 05:18 PM

Tammy Casa - Leander, TX 512-971-4375

I have DD's as well and she is the only person I would send my dog to. You'll be happy with the results. I would not recommend sending your dog to a trainer that is not familiar with the breed.

Who did your breeder recommend?
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Looking for a trainer for my Drahthaar - 03/19/15 11:23 AM

Do not send your DD to a pointer trainer. These are versatile dogs and not pointers. They need to be trained by someone who know about versatile dogs.

Who was the breeder?
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Looking for a trainer for my Drahthaar - 03/30/15 01:07 AM

X2 stinkbelly. Dylan, it only takes fifteen minutes a day to train a dog. if you don't have that how are you going to hunt the dog ? Forrest
Posted By: kindall

Re: Looking for a trainer for my Drahthaar - 04/03/15 02:03 PM

Might want to take a look at Rio Concho kennels, training versatile dogs is not new to them.
http://rioconchokennels.com/
Posted By: Cole P

Re: Looking for a trainer for my Drahthaar - 04/05/15 08:01 PM

I got my first duck dog while I was going to school in College station and trained her before/after school everyday. I did all this living at the woodlands apartments not far from campus. If you'll work with your pup, then you should have no problems. Anyway if you want your bird dog to be as good as you want then you better do the training. My friends that were lazy and sent there dogs off to be trained are unhappy with there results. Guess who gets invited on all the best bird hunts because they took the time and effort? My friends "duck dogs" turned into family dogs quick.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum