Texas Hunting Forum

Help losing 25 lbs

Posted By: Hair 'o dog

Help losing 25 lbs - 03/06/15 03:53 AM

My 9 year old lab over last few years has gained 30 lbs and is now at 106 lbs. Big framed girl. Her chemistries and thyroid normal. Sleeps 20-22 hours a day. Besides increasing activity and exercise, what weight management food or diet plan can anyone recommend?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Help losing 25 lbs - 03/06/15 02:13 PM

You control the amount of food in the pan, not the dog. Just cut back.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Help losing 25 lbs - 03/06/15 02:20 PM

There is some prescription dog foods that are real high fiber.
Some people just use a weight maintenance dog food, and add green beans as a filler.
The dog gets full because of the green beans, even though you've cut back on the dog food.
You can also give them carrots as snack if they are hungry.
I would still look at increasing her activity.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Help losing 25 lbs - 03/06/15 02:37 PM

106??? eek2
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Help losing 25 lbs - 03/06/15 03:51 PM

With her hormones and everything being correct, the problem is simple. She is taking in too many calories and not burning enough. The solution is pretty simple as well, either increase her calorie burn(exercise) or reduce her calorie intake.

If you don't want to increase exercise or decrease her intake of food, then change foods from a carbohydrate based diet(chow) to a more protein based diet(meat).

Many people, including myself, will get in the habit of rewarding our dogs for everything with treats. When you, the kids, and the wife are all doing this, it adds up to a lot of treats. Minimize this habit or remove it all together.

Best of luck to you.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Help losing 25 lbs - 03/06/15 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
You control the amount of food in the pan, not the dog. Just cut back.

This^^^^

I'm willing to bet your way over feeding. Labs will eat themselves to death you have to control how much they eat. She only needs one cup a day and I don't mean a huge 44oz cup... one cup meaning 8oz. You can break it up to two 4 oz servings if you want but that's roughly all the food she needs.
Posted By: deckhand

Re: Help losing 25 lbs - 03/08/15 05:10 PM

NO TABLE SCRAPS!!! EVER!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Help losing 25 lbs - 03/08/15 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Gangly
With her hormones and everything being correct, the problem is simple. She is taking in too many calories and not burning enough. The solution is pretty simple as well, either increase her calorie burn(exercise) or reduce her calorie intake.

If you don't want to increase exercise or decrease her intake of food, then change foods from a carbohydrate based diet(chow) to a more protein based diet(meat).

Many people, including myself, will get in the habit of rewarding our dogs for everything with treats. When you, the kids, and the wife are all doing this, it adds up to a lot of treats. Minimize this habit or remove it all together.

Best of luck to you.

Gangly, you got it.....definitely the treats and human food. I have a puppy coming in a couple weeks and am afraid of this too. I eat like a fat azz, and it wont be fair to her for me to woof down food in front of her. Hopefully I can keep her ONLY on her recommended food amount, exercise her and let her swim.

I'm hoeing this will get me off my azz and walk , train, her everyday...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum