Texas Hunting Forum

Training with Wings

Posted By: BULSPRG

Training with Wings - 02/08/15 07:00 PM

I have a question about training a new pup with wings. Does it matter the type of wing used, duck, goose, pheasant etc? Or are they meant to be used as an introduction to feathers? I didn't keep any duck wings this year as I had no plans of getting a dog until my wife changed her mind last week. I see I can get pheasant wings from cabelas. Does it make a difference?

Thanks
Evan
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Training with Wings - 02/08/15 09:30 PM

I use frozen birds.

Posted By: Angie B

Re: Training with Wings - 02/09/15 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: BULSPRG
I have a question about training a new pup with wings. Does it matter the type of wing used, duck, goose, pheasant etc? Or are they meant to be used as an introduction to feathers? I didn't keep any duck wings this year as I had no plans of getting a dog until my wife changed her mind last week. I see I can get pheasant wings from cabelas. Does it make a difference?

Thanks
Evan

We use paint rollers on our puppies. Once they are good at retrieving plain ole paint rollers, we then duct tape wings on them. Best way to introduce feathers IMHO.

Angie
Posted By: BULSPRG

Re: Training with Wings - 02/09/15 04:53 PM

Thanks for the input. Some good ideas here.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Training with Wings - 02/09/15 11:59 PM

IMO wings help sell puppies and make owners feel good. If used too much you will develop a great sight pointing dog instead of a scent pointing dog.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum