Texas Hunting Forum

Bluetick Coonhound Training?

Posted By: baw1010

Bluetick Coonhound Training? - 01/31/15 01:05 AM

Good Evening,

I have a 6 month old Bluetick Coonhound and I am looking for somewhere for her to train. I have been working with her since she was 6 weeks old. She is able to track and does well with a caged coon. If you have any recommendations or know of anyone in Texas that trains coonhounds, that would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Williams
(832) 315-9595
bwilliams@ila1351.org
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Bluetick Coonhound Training? - 01/31/15 01:31 AM

The Blutick looks good but don't over do the caged coon

Re: Bluetick Coonhound Training? - 01/31/15 02:07 AM

She has seen the caged coon only twice. Started releasing live coon today. Too much cage coon will cause a problem??
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: Bluetick Coonhound Training? - 01/31/15 02:47 AM

I haven't been to canton in a cpl years, but all the coon hunters would set up way in the back by the parking in the animal section. I'm sure if they still there they could point Ya in the right direction. They gave me all kinds of advice when I had my Black and Tan hound. Good luck
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: Bluetick Coonhound Training? - 01/31/15 02:48 AM

No need in sending her to training just start taking her to the woods where you know there are coons maybe start by feeders that have coons eating the corn , don't over do cage coon she will want you to find it for her
Sending her to training does not mean she will make a coon dog will save you money an take her to the woods in about 2 or 3 months , 6 months old she's still real young
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: Bluetick Coonhound Training? - 01/31/15 01:56 PM

Where are you located? I have a few friends in the Carthage area that run coon dogs and compete in UKC stakes with them. If you're close I can put you in contact with them.

Re: Bluetick Coonhound Training? - 02/01/15 01:52 AM

I am from the Friendswood area south of Houston, just north of Galveston. That would be great, thanks for your help.
Posted By: DuckedUp

Re: Bluetick Coonhound Training? - 02/02/15 02:41 PM

I always trained my own dogs. We would start them on caged coon for a few interactions until they really got crazy about them. After you build up their prey drive show them a caged coon for just a second and then release it and let it run up a tree while the pup is restrained by someone but can watch it go up the tree. Then let the pup go trail and tree it. This is how we associated the coon with being in the tree. Once you're to that point, take them to the woods and they'll figure it out pretty quickly. The more time you spend in the woods with her, the better dog she'll be. Save the money that you'd spend at the trainer and buy yourself a good light.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum