Texas Hunting Forum

Garmin 320 compass won't stay calibrated

Posted By: dwheel

Garmin 320 compass won't stay calibrated - 01/17/15 04:01 PM

This is my 2nd unit.. first was replaced for same reason.. called Garmin yesterday.. went thru all the steps for master reset.. it still goes nuts on direction.. Garmin said to test.. and may have to send it back.. test failed.. so at end of season.. will return.. hey a part time unit is still better than none.. will just have to buy a cheap compass to verify direction.. guess, till then..

They also said that this is not common.. Last year was hunting with a person who's 320 never seemed to go off course.. Has anyone else encounter same 320 problem, and knows of a cure

Its happens at random time.. not near anything, I am remotely aware that could affect its performance
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Garmin 320 compass won't stay calibrated - 01/17/15 05:46 PM

We use a 220, if it's not held laying basically on it's back with screen facing up, it shows the dog is in the opposite direction than what it actually is. Not sure if thats the problem you're having or not.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Garmin 320 compass won't stay calibrated - 01/17/15 06:07 PM

I've had a few problems over the years with two different units. My problems seemed to be caused by low batteries, interference by my Gator, or the plug in battery maintainer. Mine is working almost too good. A friend wanted to upgrade it with his computer, and I told him no way.

Re: Garmin 320 compass won't stay calibrated - 01/17/15 06:15 PM

I thought the enclosed side x side was problem.. but it does it when on top.. and has before while foot hunting..

Think that was one of big upgrade selling points of 320.. not requiring to be held flat.. it seems to respond better if upright.. its only about 90 degrees off.. gonna try testing strictly on foot and see if cart interference is key

Thanks
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Garmin 320 compass won't stay calibrated - 01/17/15 10:12 PM

Does it still point in the direction of your dog?

Re: Garmin 320 compass won't stay calibrated - 01/18/15 04:37 PM

Yes thats the thing.. its reads from satilte.. When I know where N is.. its has the dogs.. spot on.. just the N calibration part.. the Garmin CSR said that compass calibration does not depend on Salitile.. just like a normal compass..guess I have a magnetic personality.. but shouldn't affect... lol

Will try without cart.. see if that helps.. but know its happened, before while foot hunting... I am stumped

Re: Garmin 320 compass won't stay calibrated - 01/20/15 11:17 PM

Bill... Guess it was the cart interference.. seems if not around power transmitton lines, or cart, its works better than a ten dollar timex.. Thanks
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Garmin 320 compass won't stay calibrated - 01/21/15 01:52 PM

Strange, we keep the 220 in a garmin mount on the dash of a Kawasaki Mule 90% of the time.

Re: Garmin 320 compass won't stay calibrated - 01/22/15 01:42 AM

I know but yesterday on foot.. it worked perfect.. but from on top or in the side x side.. it goes nuts.. don't understand why a cheap dash mount compass works in a auto.. but my 320 gets near cart.. N is all over the board
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum