Texas Hunting Forum

Emergency dog boots

Posted By: bill oxner

Emergency dog boots - 01/11/15 10:56 PM

A friend called and asked where he could buy some dog boots in Houston. I offered him the few I had but he's still looking. One guy at a trial said that he had used baby tennis shoes. Some on here have come up with good substitutes. What have you used or seen used when you could not buy them?
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Emergency dog boots - 01/11/15 11:55 PM

I have made one out of duct tape before, but an inner tube is probably the way to go. People have been using inner tube boots as front line dog boots for longer than I have been around.

https://books.google.com/books?id=P9gDAA...+tube+dog+boots
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: Emergency dog boots - 01/12/15 12:29 AM

I always used bicycle inner tubes and duct tape to the leg.

Robby
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Emergency dog boots - 01/12/15 02:50 AM

Never used them on my dogs but Dad and my Grandfather used innertubes and duct tape on the bird dogs.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Emergency dog boots - 01/12/15 12:35 PM

I hate to boot but sometimes you have too. All dogs handle burs differently. I had a pointer named Sis that could really cover some ground with some burs and never stop to pick at her feet. Boots on the front feet was the most she ever needed. I've also had a few tender footed dogs.

Cracker blew a pad and a friend booted just the one foot. The boot stayed on all day and was ready for another run. Cracker is squeamish about her feet. I put the boot on the following morning by and it lasted 15 minutes.

I've read about using just plain vet wrap on a couple of forums. I don't understand how that would hold up.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Emergency dog boots - 01/12/15 01:48 PM

Some places I have hunted, it would be impossible without boots. Things much worse than sand burs. Brittle Cactus in CO sage and in the Chihuahuan desert or areas with oyster shell on the coast as examples.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum