Texas Hunting Forum

I need a porcupine

Posted By: tigger

I need a porcupine - 01/05/15 01:30 AM

I need a live porcupine to be used in training bird dogs. If anyone catches one within 100 miles of Burnet county I will come get it.
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/05/15 03:36 AM

Must be a real hard mouthed dog!

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/05/15 02:14 PM

Cute but thanks for the bump.
Posted By: coonie

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/08/15 02:18 AM

Good luck. I have a female that just had her third encounter. You would think she would learn.
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/08/15 03:04 AM

Had a pointer when I was a kid that got into one. Bad news for sure.
Posted By: aeb

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/08/15 03:22 AM

Animal Control in Clyde finally caught up with a porcupine that had been roaming the city for weeks. The local vet cried big tears. He had been making good money removing porcupine quills from town dogs.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/08/15 04:16 AM

I'll keep it in mind. We cage trap them sometimes near Brady, but it has been a while. I also snare them occasionally, that would be bad news trying to get one out of a snare. They are some nasty dudes.

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/08/15 06:16 PM

If I can snake break a dog, I should be able to porcupine break a dog.

I had two pointers get out the other day and found a porcupine that night when I saw them the next morning I thought they had been recreated as a Drahthaar.
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/08/15 06:18 PM

Have a Lacy that got hit by one pretty hard back this summer, he won't bother them anymore, but my Coonhound has had her nose pierced several times and won't quit! Sometimes it's best to push them on through cartilage the holes heal up quicker than pulling them out with the barbs!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/08/15 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: tigger
If I can snake break a dog, I should be able to porcupine break a dog.

I had two pointers get out the other day and found a porcupine that night when I saw them the next morning I thought they had been recreated as a Drahthaar.

My neighbor had a couple of Brits that could not be broken off of skunks,and that was back when collars were hotter than today's collars.

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/08/15 06:29 PM

My experience is that if they only get worse if they are bad to begin with. I had one dog that got into porcupines 4 times in 2 days. Spent more time pulling quills then hunting.

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/08/15 06:30 PM

One of the dogs from above killed one the other day. One tough dog. Very gentle sweet dog but hates porcupines.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/08/15 07:17 PM

Did he look something like this?
Posted By: coonie

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/08/15 07:29 PM

If they are in his tongue, gums and roof of his mouth yes

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/09/15 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Did he look something like this?

Good looking Drahthaar, mine looked as bad. Just couldn't get enough of a good thing.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/09/15 01:09 AM

I've seen one bird dog come out of a hole with five quills in his face in 45 years so quail hunting in Texas.

Re: I need a porcupine - 01/09/15 02:02 AM

You have been lucky
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum