Texas Hunting Forum

Need collar advice

Posted By: changedmyname

Need collar advice - 12/31/14 02:27 AM

Have the Alpha but it's too much going on for me. Feel like I spend more time messing with it than just enjoying the hunt. So what are your favorite collars preferably with a beeper?
Was thinking about getting the garmin pro 550 with beeper.
For those that have beepers, is there a way to turn off the constant beep and just press a locator button or something? There are times I don't think I'd want the beeping but would still want to locate if I lost him in some tall grass or something.
Thanks
Posted By: jkb72

Re: Need collar advice - 12/31/14 04:44 AM

I have a TT Pro 100 w/ a TT/Garmin beeper that I run on my dog.
Been less than impressed w/ the beeper. Have trouble w/ it turning itself on & off
w/out my input. The Pro 100 has been great, just don't like the beeper.
I think the TT Pro 100 is great for "training" purposes but if I were to start all over at this point,
I'd take a close look at the Dogtra 2500 as a stand alone hunting collar. It has a built in beeper on the collar.

On the Garmin beeper, you can run it in constant beep or in point only mode.
And yes, you can turn it on or off from the transmitter to use as a locator too.
Unfortunately, this is the way I mainly like to use mine & it's where I am having issues w/ it.
Have a buddy that runs it w/ no problems but have also heard of others have the same issues I'm having.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Need collar advice - 12/31/14 01:43 PM

Can't help on the beeper, I don't like em and don't use them. Sell the Alpha and get the Astro 320/DC40 and add it to a DT Systems h20 series E collar. We are running three like this (Astro 220 / DC40) the Astro 320 is pretty simple to use.
Posted By: Tmec

Re: Need collar advice - 12/31/14 03:55 PM

TT pro 100 for training has worked for me. Expensive but cheaper than buying 2.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Need collar advice - 12/31/14 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Tmec

I don't think they make them anymore.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Need collar advice - 12/31/14 06:38 PM

I assume your dog doesnt range very far if your considering a beeper. So a 1/2 mile range is ok for you? Do you plan on running more than one dog in the future?

Re: Need collar advice - 12/31/14 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: blanked
I assume your dog doesnt range very far if your considering a beeper. So a 1/2 mile range is ok for you? Do you plan on running more than one dog in the future?

He doesn't get out more than 200 yards or so. I couldn't keep up on foot if he did. No plans for another dog at this time.

Re: Need collar advice - 12/31/14 06:57 PM

BTW, I got a lab a few months ago and don't have a collar for her yet. So another consideration I had in mind was that if I sell that Alpha I can get a 2 dog Pro 550 setup and add a beeper to one (for the vizsla) for the same price.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Need collar advice - 12/31/14 07:31 PM

Sportdog TEk makes a gps tracker also that is more basic compared to the garmin. Cheaper too. Use it with a basic 1/2 mile e collar together is an option
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Need collar advice - 12/31/14 09:09 PM

The new ones are so cheap it's difficult to sell used ones anymore.

Re: Need collar advice - 12/31/14 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
The new ones are so cheap it's difficult to sell used ones anymore.

$800 new. Already sold it anyway.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Need collar advice - 12/31/14 11:17 PM

DT Systems is in Dallas, easy for repairs and they usually just give you new unit.
Posted By: kbobbjr

Re: Need collar advice - 01/02/15 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: Tmec

I don't think they make them anymore.

They have not been replaced by the new Garmin units yet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum