Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone own a white dog.... Miller pointer

Posted By: blanked

Anyone own a white dog.... Miller pointer - 12/26/14 01:45 AM

What kind of range do you get in wide open country. Does it shorten up in heavy cover. Any other comments
Posted By: tigger

Re: Anyone own a white dog.... Miller pointer - 12/26/14 02:04 AM

Depends, I just buried one. First 3 years of her life we sometime hunted in the same zip code, latter she was a bird finding machine. No did not intentionally shorten in heavy cover, response to collar got her hunting with be. Great dog, great personalty. I would love another one. Her dad and granddad won the Grand National, so she was bred to run. Not bred to be a walking birdhunters dog.
Posted By: Raymond07

Re: Anyone own a white dog.... Miller pointer - 01/04/15 05:25 PM

I have two, my older dog is the best bird finder I have ever had, and we have had 14 bird dogs. Both of the dogs have good bird sense, tons of drive and good bottom. They are strange dogs and are intensely loyal to their master, but not so much others. They barely pay attention to my wife when she instructs them. They are great with my three month old, and both sleep inside. The older one generally curls up with our cat at night. I think they are excellent, however they are a bit soft compared to other lines of pointers and can run a bit big for some peoples tastes, although they will adjust with the cover. On the rolling plains or on the northern prairies they will cast 500-800 yards but in thick cover in south texas they generally keep it within 100 yards. Who are you looking at a dog from?
Posted By: blanked

Re: Anyone own a white dog.... Miller pointer - 01/06/15 12:41 AM

I just got her From Nathan Phillips in Indiana. I have another pointer son of strut just like you said. Very standoffish around other dogs and people. But loves me. Exactly the same range you mentioned in montana sharptails and woodcock about 200 yards.
Posted By: Raymond07

Re: Anyone own a white dog.... Miller pointer - 01/09/15 04:19 PM

I think you will be happy with her.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Anyone own a white dog.... Miller pointer - 01/09/15 05:12 PM

Too hard to break off porcupines.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Anyone own a white dog.... Miller pointer - 01/09/15 05:48 PM

Bill, no porcupine problem with my miller dog, the problem is the Guardrail and Elhew dogs
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum