Texas Hunting Forum

Question about my 6 month old lab

Posted By: Featherduster

Question about my 6 month old lab - 11/19/14 07:54 PM

I've got a young lab, had her since she was a pup. She was sitting at 8 weeks, retrieving at 8 weeks, and swimming at 9 weeks. She has been excellent, and I have more than dedicated myself to her. She has been on 3 hunts with me, the first she was 4 months old, she retrieved 4 teal. I had to throw a rock in the water for her to get going. The next hunt was 4 more teal and 8 doves. She got just about every single one. Now at 6 months, I took her out and shot a teal, but she didn't even want to go after it. Just sat there, yawned and stretched (literally). I took her to the duck, she just sniffed it, looked at me, and walked away.

She doesn't seem to have a drive to retrieve, unless I throw it in the water. Sure she will retrieve on land, but she just takes her time and doesn't seem to really have the drive to do it.

She has semi been a family dog and I'm wondering if that has any influence on her.

I have her at the trainer now, and his goal is to get her to "want" to retrieve.

Just something I don't really understand, I mean I know she is just a pup, but her actions make me frustrated.

Could this just be something she may snap out of after maturity?

Just wondering what yalls thoughts are.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Question about my 6 month old lab - 11/19/14 08:37 PM

Hard to say, could be too much too soon. How exactly is the trainer going make her want to retrieve? F F? The want or drive to retrieve is already done and that was done in the breeding.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Question about my 6 month old lab - 11/19/14 09:19 PM

Being a family dog has nothing to do with it. Sounds like she's been pushed pretty hard for 6 months old.
Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Re: Question about my 6 month old lab - 11/19/14 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
Being a family dog has nothing to do with it. Sounds like she's been pushed pretty hard for 6 months old.

Agreed
Posted By: huck18

Re: Question about my 6 month old lab - 11/19/14 09:37 PM

No trainer can put more drive or "want to" into your dog. They are born with that and I agree way to much to fast. You shouldnt be worried about trying to hunt with your dog until the dog is trained and ready for it. It pays to be patient in the long run.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Question about my 6 month old lab - 11/19/14 09:39 PM

Also at 6 months she could still be teething.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Question about my 6 month old lab - 11/20/14 01:11 AM

ALL THE ABOVE,

slow down, after the season, get to be friends with your dog again. Have "fun" training days. Lot's of praise when she does anything good. She'll snap out of it.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Question about my 6 month old lab - 11/20/14 02:04 AM

Thanks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum