Texas Hunting Forum

Hog hunting dog info

Posted By: jdeleon

Hog hunting dog info - 07/19/12 04:28 PM

I just got a catahoula/blue heeler pup for free off craigslist and i want to try to train her to track wild hogs. I have a year old catahoula that I didnt train to hunt with but i would like to try to train this one to hunt and if im successful get a couple more to hunt with her. Anybody know of any good books or sites out there to help me get started?

Posted By: comet

Re: Hog hunting dog info - 07/19/12 04:59 PM

there is a website called east texas hog doggers, you could try there.

Posted By: log cabin

Re: Hog hunting dog info - 07/19/12 06:20 PM

Jake,

Post a picture of your pup when you get a chance. I bet that cross makes a good looking pooch. I have a Blue....and have alway wanted a Catahoula.

Posted By: tim_2251

Re: Hog hunting dog info - 07/19/12 11:29 PM

If you have a place to keep small pig get one they can bay, if not try to find a bay pen in your area. The best thing is find someone that will let you tag along with your dogs on a hunt, they learn more running with a pack of good dogs . I always started running pups at about 6 months with the older dogs while they learn you can trash break em and if they got it in em they will start hunting . I always thought at about 2 years old they were the best. Try east Texas hog doggers forum just be carefull buying dogs off there . There's some good people and a lot of dog peddlers . Good luck

Posted By: MS1454

Re: Hog hunting dog info - 07/20/12 01:50 AM

texas hog dog.com

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum