Texas Hunting Forum

ISO Shooting Range

Posted By: TLew

ISO Shooting Range - 06/20/18 03:45 AM

A little different ask than usual. I have hunting lease for different game as well a year round lease, but I'm looking for land to use for only target shooting. Key characteristics:

• First (and hopefully most obvious): Safe direction of fire
  • Second: A minimum of 250 yard shots
  • Third: Within 20-40 minutes of 380 and Dallas North Tollway
  • Fourth: Decent line of fire (i.e. no 6 foot tall plow fields that limit visibility

I imagine I'm looking for a needle in a haystack, but I figured I should at least try. I'm a responsible lessee that will clean up all casings, debris, targets, etc.. I imagine frequency of use is 1-3 times per month.
Posted By: MikeOH

Re: ISO Shooting Range - 06/21/18 01:25 PM

Where are you located?
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: ISO Shooting Range - 06/21/18 04:05 PM

If you don't find a shooting lease, I'd get with FiremanJG on here, he has a private range out to 600 yds in Wolfe City (east of Melissa). Great guy and very reasonable day use fee.

http://www.precisionriflehunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/garvey.jpg

Re: ISO Shooting Range - 06/23/18 04:18 AM

Located close to 380 and DNT.

Yes, I’ve seen JG’s range and have read a number of his posts. Definitely a good backup if I can’t find something else.
Posted By: MikeOH

Re: ISO Shooting Range - 06/26/18 06:25 PM

I’d recommend Small Groups Rifle Range at smallgroupsriflerange.com. It’s run by Tim Sharp who is a great guy. Private range that has shooting to 300 yards. Never crowded.

It’s the n Cumby so you are looking at an hour and fifteen minute drive but well worth it.

Re: ISO Shooting Range - 06/26/18 11:31 PM

I appreciate everyone’s suggestions on actual shooting ranges, and I realize that the title could be misconstrued to say I’m looking for an actual range. To clarify, I’m looking for a lease where I will only be using it as a shooting range.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: ISO Shooting Range - 06/26/18 11:47 PM

If you were a random landowner, would you lease to someone with the terms you describe? Someone you don’t know comin out to your place, up to 3 times/month, setting up & shooting? Anyone who has enough land as you describe probably doesn’t neeed the small amount of money it would bring in, compared to the massive amount of liability & PITA that goes with it. Especially anywhere that close to Dallas......

I wish you all the luck OP, but your askin for quite a bit........good luck.
Posted By: predapex

Re: ISO Shooting Range - 06/29/18 06:36 PM

Im looking for the same around San Antonio, but to shoot up to a mile. We are willing to pay a good penny for year around access.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum