Texas Hunting Forum

What is the going price on eastern Hill Country deer leases?

Posted By: Mad Max

What is the going price on eastern Hill Country deer leases? - 12/31/17 05:50 PM

A while back there was a thread on the standard price per acre of seasonal deer (or year-round including other game) by different regions. I can't find the thread, so if someone remembers and can quote the figures, that would be great.

The price of my 300 acre lease just east of Fredericksburg keeps going up each year, and I'm just trying to determine whether I'm getting charged a lot more than the going rate or if what is being asked is reasonable and standard for eastern Hill Country leases within a couple of hours of Austin and/or San Antonio.

I tried to shop around for comparison and haven't seen much out there, perhaps that's why the landowners can charge as much as they please.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: What is the going price on eastern Hill Country deer leases? - 12/31/17 06:18 PM

Too many variables to give a semi accurate answer other than between $6 - $24 per acre.
If it is within 2 - 2.5 hours of major cities probably closer to the high end.

I know this, many places near big cities lease for almost unbelievable per acre prices, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, if that someone isn't you it will be someone else.
I also know how much $ I turn down every year to lease our place in Blanco county, truly hard to believe how much some folks would be willing to pay.
Posted By: Mad Max

Re: What is the going price on eastern Hill Country deer leases? - 01/01/18 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
Too many variables to give a semi accurate answer other than between $6 - $24 per acre.
If it is within 2 - 2.5 hours of major cities probably closer to the high end.

I know this, many places near big cities lease for almost unbelievable per acre prices, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, if that someone isn't you it will be someone else.
I also know how much $ I turn down every year to lease our place in Blanco county, truly hard to believe how much some folks would be willing to pay.

I suppose that sounds right, since I probably see about 10-20 "lease wanted" ads for every lease being offered within a reasonable drive of SA or Austin.

I think that what's driving the prices up is the fact that many landowners have gone from doing year-round leases to doing day hunts. If they can charge someone 1-1.5K for a single weekend anda couple of runty deer, they're going to want to charge 4-5x that for a season lease.
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: What is the going price on eastern Hill Country deer leases? - 01/01/18 04:47 PM

I paid $20/acre between Fburg and Kville right off Hwy 16. It’s pricey in that area but I saw deer every sit, there was hook-ups for my RV and I could bring my immediate family with me anytime and had the opportunity to get exotics. It’s hard finding a place in that area to hunt. If you decided decide to leave your lease let me know I might be interested in your spot.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: What is the going price on eastern Hill Country deer leases? - 01/02/18 05:52 PM

In that area, the LO will have 20 people fighting over it the minute you decide to leave.
Posted By: PMK

Re: What is the going price on eastern Hill Country deer leases? - 01/02/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
In that area, the LO will have 120 people fighting over it the minute you decide to leave.

fixed it for ya
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum