Texas Hunting Forum

never leased my property, need advise

Posted By: garyrapp55

never leased my property, need advise - 01/12/17 05:08 PM

I have a trusted friend who asked me if I would lease to him. My wife and I are open to the idea but don't want to get screwed. I have no idea what to charge him. Only 30 acres but has always produced decent deer and plenty of hogs. Has cabin with electricity, running water, everything needed is included. I have 2 stands he would have access to and 2 feeders. Freestone County. He only wants it during deer season and maybe 2-3 off season weekends for hogs. I'm guessing about $700 but really I need you guys to give me guidance. I know it's a small place but most leases don't provide lodging as I understand it. Can you help me out?
Thanks,
Gary
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/12/17 05:34 PM

Seems fair to me. If he declines, count me in. grin
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/12/17 06:24 PM

Ask $1,200.

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/12/17 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Ask $1,200.

$40 an acre? $700 is a good deal but $1200 seems a bit steep. Then again, if someone's willing to pay it, that's the value.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/12/17 06:29 PM

If he's a trusted friend, split expenses with him and don't charge him a lease fee. I wouldn't charge a trusted friend to shoot a deer on my place.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/12/17 06:31 PM

The question is what is it worth to you.

That small of a place, I wouldn't want another hunter on it.

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/12/17 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
If he's a trusted friend, split expenses with him and don't charge him a lease fee. I wouldn't charge a trusted friend to shoot a deer on my place.

I offered to trade labor for access but he declined that. I don't want to take his money but if I'm giving him a set of keys I need something.

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/12/17 06:52 PM

I had a deal like that for a couple of years. Ended up giving the guy money and meat every year anyway being the amount of work he had me do at his place, I felt didn't justified the access he gave me. Too bad he sold the place.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/12/17 08:32 PM

$40 an acre is fair and maybe yours getting the best end of this deal.
Posted By: fishon1017

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/13/17 12:26 AM

700.00 for 30 acres, consider yourself lucky and lease to your freind. You trust him to take care of the cabin and property and you can't put a price on that. I think your overcharging but lease to your friend. You might what to discuss a minimal fee to stay in cabin to cover electrical costs.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/13/17 01:01 AM

If he declined exchanging his labor for free access, I wouldn't want him on my places.
$1200 is cheap for cabin with water & electricity, blinds & feeders, but, 2 hunters on 30 acres is at least 1.5 too many unless you have a high deer population or over population.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/13/17 01:23 AM

700 about right. Since its a small window.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/13/17 02:02 AM

Do you plan to hunt there too?
Posted By: cameron00

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/13/17 01:45 PM

On small places like that, it's not really a "per acre" deal, it's more of a trespass or minimum pay to play fee.

I'd ask for $1000 minimum, especially with a cabin.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/13/17 03:31 PM

I would tell him to keep the feeders full year round, leave me a case of beer in the fridge and call me when you're planning to be out there so we don't stumble over each other.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/13/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
If he declined exchanging his labor for free access, I wouldn't want him on my places.
$1200 is cheap for cabin with water & electricity, blinds & feeders, but, 2 hunters on 30 acres is at least 1.5 too many unless you have a high deer population or over population.

Not wanting to work to improve property in exchange for hinting would be a big red flag for me, even more so if he us a good friend.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/13/17 04:32 PM

Get a liability release.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/13/17 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
On small places like that, it's not really a "per acre" deal, it's more of a trespass or minimum pay to play fee.

I'd ask for $1000 minimum, especially with a cabin.
Posted By: don k

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/13/17 11:15 PM

Don't. Keep it for yourself. You are looking for nothing but headaches and it is not worth the money.
Posted By: allan50

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/14/17 06:37 AM

I would be very interested in talking with you about leasing the land
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/14/17 08:13 AM

Dang that is small. $700 sounds right with deer and cabin I guess. I lease 25,000 acres for less than that a year for hogs though with lodging though.
Posted By: majekman

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/14/17 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
Don't. Keep it for yourself. You are looking for nothing but headaches and it is not worth the money.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/14/17 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

I offered to trade labor for access but he declined that. I don't want to take his money but if I'm giving him a set of keys I need something.

Unless he has health issues keeping him from physical activity, I'd say this could be the beginning of the end of a friendship. Sounds like he wants something for nothing and he'll probably wind up acting like it's his place. You're adding stress in your life if you let him hunt there.
Posted By: nate33

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/14/17 03:39 PM

Texan Till has the right idea ,,,,,,,,,,, if its your good friend, you are worried about getting screwed by him????? I should start charging my friends when they dove hunt on my property, I have been getting screwed all these years and didnt realize it.

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/15/17 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: JB1316
Do you plan to hunt there too?

Yes but not while he's there. My deer hunting has declined over the last few years and I hunt a lot more hogs, so my hunts aren't season specific. Stupid antler restriction have turned me off.

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/15/17 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: fishon1017
700.00 for 30 acres, consider yourself lucky and lease to your freind. You trust him to take care of the cabin and property and you can't put a price on that. I think your overcharging but lease to your friend. You might what to discuss a minimal fee to stay in cabin to cover electrical costs.

This is the best advise I've got from this thread, thanks. 3 guys have asked to lease this place since I posted and I don't know them. I've known my friend since 7th grade. He has hunted this place for 2 decades off and on, 13 years in the Army kept him away. I have a guy who I trust, I can't put a price on that. Thanks

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/15/17 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

Unless he has health issues keeping him from physical activity, I'd say this could be the beginning of the end of a friendship. Sounds like he wants something for nothing and he'll probably wind up acting like it's his place. You're adding stress in your life if you let him hunt there.

He did hurt his back in Iraq, that's why he was discharged at 13 rather than the full 20 years. This guy has helped me re-model the bathroom there. He has helped me re-roof the place, as best he could anyway. Just a week ago I had him running the chainsaw and clearing the road while I drove the tractor removing a tree that fell in the driveway there. He's not lazy, we are just getting older.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/15/17 05:47 PM

I would at least get something signed not to hold you responsible for him getting hurt on your property, cya. It's your friend, you know him better than anyone else. What does your gut/heart tell you?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/15/17 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
I would at least get something signed not to hold you responsible for him getting hurt on your property, cya. It's your friend, you know him better than anyone else. What does your gut/heart tell you?

Yes, get something signed. It's not him that's going to sue you. It's his wife, brother, or distant cousin who will sue you for all you got because you were taking money from him to hunt and he fell out of your tree and killed himself. Lots of attorneys out there that will tell the widow she deserves all your money because you were taking money from him and he died on your place.
Posted By: fishon1017

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/15/17 11:04 PM

This is the dumpest conversation. The owner of 30 acres must not be a deer hunter. Trusted friend? I don't think so. 700.00 for 30 acrs, 40.00 an acre. You should be lucky to get that so let him pay you and additional cost for electric to stay in cabin if you have heat and ac. If not don't charge anymore for the cabin as 700.00 is great price. Have him fill out a waiver to protect yourself. Other than that stop wasting your time tying to get a couple more bucks from your trusted friend. Or lease to someone you don't know and worry about your cabin/land 24/7.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: never leased my property, need advise - 01/15/17 11:20 PM

The "dumpest conversation "? And because he owns 30 acres he must not be a deer hunter?

Meth post...from the TFF.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum