Texas Hunting Forum

Lease Question

Posted By: LKForkGuide Marc Mitchell

Lease Question - 06/26/16 05:58 PM

Lease rates vary through out TX so here is a question. Comanche Co. 200 acres with a small shack 4 hunters $6000 ? One deer over 13 inches and one spike and two does. Deer are small no management every in place and lots of spikes.Open on three sides only timbered on one side. Would anyone out there say a place like this is worth $30 acre or $7.50 per acre per hunter ? Just wondering. I figure leases at total acres times price per acre. Then you add 4 hunters to cover that cost. IMO

1000 acres at 7.50 per acre $7500 divided by 6 hunters $1250 per hunter ( My Math )
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Lease Question - 06/26/16 06:12 PM

No place is worth $30 an acre for small deer on 200 acres in my opinion. I have been on really good ranches with some big deer for $15-$20 an acre just my two cents, but there is always someone looking.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Lease Question - 06/26/16 06:19 PM

I would say this is a place the owner is looking to scam some money on, and go through hunters like crazy. First of all, what 200 acre place with woods on only one side could support taking 16 deer a year from? Second, that price is far fetched. I would be passing on that one.

Re: Lease Question - 06/26/16 06:25 PM

I dont understand why so high. They said that is the going rate. NOT IMO $7.50 maybe the rate but that is for total acres then divided by 4 hunters. IMO Shack is like a horse barn closed in and pretty rough has TV and bathroom but roof leaks. Lots of deer but a 100 lb deer is rare. It is only available Sept 1 through Jan 5

I think deer leases are like Bass Boats to dang high.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Lease Question - 06/26/16 07:08 PM

I'd look elsewhere. Our lease in the panhandle is costing us just a little over $5 an acre.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Lease Question - 06/26/16 07:15 PM

Way to many hunters, and to high for a high pressure countries.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Lease Question - 06/26/16 10:55 PM

Yes, keep looking and you will be very glad that you passed on this one.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Lease Question - 06/26/16 11:41 PM

Let me guess.
Craigslist?
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Lease Question - 06/27/16 12:46 AM

That's crazy money and crazy number of hunters. I guess they think someone desperate will jump on it.

Re: Lease Question - 06/27/16 12:46 AM

not craigslist.
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: Lease Question - 06/27/16 01:11 AM

I pay 6 bucks an acre. It's a small place and 350 acres and , we mostly get 2 big bucks, one spike and two hogs each season for 2,100.

A deer over 13 inches is sad, its not how the managed ranches run. Our rules are bucks outside the ears, around 18 inches or more. Our place is the best deer lease I have ever been on, its my 3rd year here. Rules are strict here and I like it. Our hunters are good minded hunters not looking to shoot anything that moves.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Lease Question - 06/27/16 01:38 AM

Just looked at the Mills County COC website. 13 posts from groups wanting leases, not a single post of an available lease. Sellers market right now, unfortunately.
Posted By: therock

Re: Lease Question - 06/27/16 01:43 AM

That is crazy high IMO. 4 hunters is 2 too many at least. No way there is that many deer in the area to shoot that many. I lived around that area for 40 years. They ain't there.
Posted By: mjeter

Re: Lease Question - 06/27/16 03:55 AM

I just got off a lease N of Comanche near Sipe Springs, it was a small place like that around 300 acres. Was only on it for one year, but it was priced like that. Not enough deer and too much shooting on places around it for my tastes, so I declined to re lease it.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Lease Question - 06/27/16 05:19 AM

And this is why I will never get off my place. I sure don't shoot a buck every year but get year round access and all game for $9 an acre. Same price for 7 years now. Our guy that only shoots hogs even has a good deal now compared to what is out there. I sure don't want to go find a lease these days. The animals have not appreciated as much as land costs but for most LO they go hand in hand. If land goes up 50% then hunting does as well. They only see the profit if they sell though but want to pass on the appreciated value to hunters which many will pay or they won't have a place to hunt. Make sense to them but not hunters since the game isn't increasing actually.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Lease Question - 06/27/16 12:46 PM

No!!!!!!
Posted By: bp3

Re: Lease Question - 06/27/16 04:26 PM

The Dallas Duck hunters ( pun ) have created the 12-20 bucks per acre to shoot 1 deer. 3-4 grand to hunt a deer and maybe a pig that I wouldn't let a dog eat. 3-4 grand to hunt a deer then spent another 6-8 grand for four wheeler's. If you want to party just go on a vacation some where because that's what a big percentage hunters do.Oh I forgot the feeders, corn and supplements. Just like shooting a cow. People don't hunt any more. I wish they would ban feeders, oh I know the deer would over populate, just raise the limits. rifle

Re: Lease Question - 06/29/16 12:21 PM

Still have sticker shock over this going up after we made major improvements to the property.

Thank God we did not feed the deer all year I really would be pissed. To not even tell us till I called to say we were going out to fill feeders to then tell me we are going up on the lease.Just not right IMO.

They are saying they have several waiting that will pay that price. Well it will not be me. I guess I just dont understand some people just running hunters through.

He told us the guys before us had it for 8 years and he never went up on price. We have it one year and it went up. Go Figure !

Sorry had to vent this morning.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Lease Question - 06/29/16 12:25 PM

Yep you definitely have to be careful with landowners. Especially when you make major improvements to a property. Hope you find another lease.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Lease Question - 06/29/16 02:34 PM

No, not worth it and dangerous. Just keep looking and do public hunts till you find what you want. We were in the same boat a few years ago and would put in for deer hunts in Wyoming or Colorado or Idaho. When we didn't pull tags we would head to Montana and buy 600 dollar over the counter tags. Then put in for public land permits in the south east corner of the state for mid November. We would see so many deer and just had to pick one. Non were huge but it was so much fun. Those mule deer there taste much better then our wt and weigh 300lbs +
Posted By: rickym

Re: Lease Question - 06/29/16 03:27 PM

To many hunters on such small acreage to even begin to discuss price, but no absolutely not.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Lease Question - 06/29/16 04:13 PM

Have said it for years save your money for 3 years and go to the Rockies and hunt on a private ranch for elk and deer. rifle
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Lease Question - 06/29/16 06:52 PM

It is not ideal but you will find many leases like this in the hill country.

Re: Lease Question - 07/07/16 12:11 AM

Highway Robbery IMO. I guess if they lease it then someone doe not know the rates or desperate. Still looking for a place to lease. Maybe something will come up or may have to trade a fishing trip for a hunt. LOL
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum